Sustainable Development Goals Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The United Nations (UN) Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres appointed 17 global figures which includes China’s Alibaba chief Jack Ma and Indian actress Dia Mirza as the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) advocates. Jack Ma, the founder and Executive Chairman of Chinese MNC Alibaba Group has been an SDG Advocate since 2016.
About the New SDG Advocates of UN
- Who are they? New class of SDG, Advocates are globally influential public figures who are committed to inspiring greater ambition, raising awareness, and pushing for faster action on SDGs.
- Function: The new SDG advocates are tasked to work together so as to drive action, build ambition, solidify global political will, and leverage and build bridges between their audiences to drive progress on achieving ambitious SDGs.
- Representation: These New Advocates which includes representatives from academia,
- Business, sport, entertainment, governments, and activist organizations around the world shows the universal character of SDGs.
- SDG Advocates will utilize their unique platforms and leadership skills to inspire and mobilize global community in order to build momentum for transformative, inclusive development by 2030.
About Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- The SDGs were born at United Nations (UN) Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro in 2012.
- The SDGs replaced Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) which were active from 2000-2015.
- They are also known as ‘Global Goals’ and were adopted by world leaders on September 25, 2015. The adoption year 2015 coincides with other historic agreement like ‘COP21 Paris Climate Conference’ and ‘Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction’, signed in Japan in March 2015,
- It is a set of 17 Universal Goals, that seeks to meet urgent environmental, political and economic challenges facing our world. For ex- Poverty, Hunger, Education, Climate Change, Peace etc.
NOTE: The 38 year old Dia Mirza, is an actor, film producer and United Nation Environment Program (UNEP) Goodwill Ambassador for India.
Tags: Antonio Guterres • CoP21 • Dia Mirza • Jack Ma • Japan • MDG • Millennium Development Goals • Paris Climate Conference • SDG • SDG Advocates of UN • Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction • Sustainable Development Goals • UN • UN Secretary-General • UNEP • United Nation Environment Program
The 4th Resilient Cities Asia-Pacific 2019 Congress is being organised by International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI) and hosted by South Delhi Municipal Corporation in New Delhi. The congress will offer cities & regions from Asia-Pacific a variety of innovative solutions that build resilience to climate change at the sub-national level.
The congress will host combination of high-level plenaries and technical sessions on the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), and the New Urban Agenda of 2016, while at the same time bringing together experts and practitioners who will share their experiences and encourage cities to take actions on resilience.
Objectives of RCAP Congress 2019
- To share and learn about good urban resilience practices and showcase innovative ideas, solutions and initiatives
- To provide local governments with exposure and access to tools and processes that help mainstream resilience considerations into policy and practice
- To provide a networking platform to promote concerted and coordinated action in Asia among the main players in the field of urban resilience
- To explore tangible opportunities for creating partnerships between local governments and the private sector
- To bring together funders and cities and facilitate the match-making between available financial resources and current cities’ needs.
The Congress was inaugurated by Vice-President Venkiah Naidu. The outcomes of the RCAP 2019 will be presented in the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) Conference to be held in Berlin in June this year.
Tags: Berlin • ICLEI • International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives • Nationally Determined Contributions • NDCs • New Delhi • New Urban Agenda • Resilient Cities • Resilient Cities Asia-Pacific (RCAP) Congress • Resilient Cities Asia-Pacific (RCAP) Congress 2019 • South Delhi Municipal Corporation • Sustainable Development Goals