Switzerland Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India ranked 155th out of 178 countries with an index score of 31.23 points, in its efforts to address environmental challenges, in the 2014 Environmental Performance Index (EPI) issued by Yale University. Regardless of an improvement in overall performance, India ranks behind China (118), Pakistan (148) and Nepal (139). Among the BRICS nations, South Africa was placed at 72nd position, followed by Russia (73), Brazil (77) and China (118).
About 2014 Environmental Performance Index (EPI)
- Prepared by America’s Yale and Columbia universities in collaboration with the World Economic Forum (WEF) as well as with support from the Samuel Family Foundation and the McCall MacBain Foundation.
- Released at the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos.
- Objectives that provide the overarching structure of the 2014 EPI: Environmental Health and Ecosystem Vitality.
- The 178 nations in the index represent 99% of the global population, 98% of the world’s total land area and 97% of the global GDP.
- Ranking based on High -priority environmental indicators: health impacts, air quality, water and sanitation, water resources, agriculture, forests, fisheries, bio-diversity and habitat, climate and energy.
- The overall list is topped by Switzerland followed by Luxembourg, Australia, Singapore and Czech Republic.
- The least five performers: Somalia, Mali, Haiti, Lesotho, Afghanistan – all are grappling with civil unrest, significant economic development pressures, and political turmoil.
The EPI ranks how well countries perform on high-priority environmental issues in two broad policy areas: Protection of human health from environmental harm and protection of ecosystems.
The 44th World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting at Davos, Switzerland from January 22 to 25, 2014.
The event sets the key priorities and challenges for the world to tackle in 2014.
- Theme: ‘The Reshaping of the World: Consequences for Society, Politics and Business’.
- Objective: To develop the insights, initiatives and actions necessary to respond to current and emerging challenges.
- Approx 40 heads of state or government among more than 2,500 global leaders from over 100 countries are attending the WEF viz. UK, Australia, Japan, Iran, India, Israel, Brazil, Italy, Mauritius, Republic of Korea , etc.
- From India a 125-member delegation including senior ministers and top corporate leaders are attending the meeting.
- During the summit, in addition to economic issues and hardcore business talks, problems in Syria, Iran’s possible return to global diplomatic tables, future of euro zone are expected to hog the limelight.
- The Swiss bank has put up innovative ideas to attract rich clients from India and other countries by providing services like ‘cash courier’ as well as by offering large metal vaults to store currency notes, gold, artworks and other valuables. Also, on the platter is advice to put money in virtual currencies, especially in the wake of Bitcoin ATMs becoming operational in Zurich.
The World Economic Forum is an independent international organization committed to improving the state of the world by engaging business, political, academic and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.