Tajikistan Current Affairs
The China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved first set of loans totalling US 509 million dollars to finance projects in four countries viz. Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia and Tajikistan.
These loans for the four projects were approved in Board of Directors meeting of AIIB held at its headquarters in Beijing, China.
- Bangladesh: US 165 million dollars loan for a Power Distribution System Upgrade and Expansion Project.
- Indonesia: US 216.5 million dollars loan for a National Slum Upgrading Project. It is expected to be co-financed with the World Bank.
- Pakistan: US 100 million dollars loan for Shorkot-Khanewal Section of National Motorway M-4. It will be co-financed with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID).
- Tajikistan: US 27.5 million dollars loan for the Dushanbe-Uzbekistan Border Road Improvement Project. It will be co-financed with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
These loans will have an interest rate of London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) plus 1.15 % and a repayment period of 25 years with 5 years in grace period. These projects spanning in the energy, transport and urban development sectors will help to bridge the region’s critical infrastructure financing gap. It will also help to strengthen regional connectivity.
For more details: About Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
India’s Ambassador to Tajikistan Biraja Prasad passed away following a massive cardiac arrest.
He was the youngest Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer to be appointed as India’s Ambassador to any country.
About Biraja Prasad
- Biraja Prasad’s career as diplomat began after he had joined IFS in 1998.
- In his career, he had held different diplomatic assignments such as third secretary and then second secretary (Political) in Embassy of India, Moscow (Russia) from 2000 to 2002.
- He had also served as undersecretary (Russia) in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), New Delhi from 2004 to 2005.
- He also had worked as undersecretary (Europe West) from 2005 to 2007 in MEA where had handled work related to India’s bilateral relations with Russia, France, Germany and Spain.
- He had also worked as Deputy Chief of Mission in Embassy of India at Madrid (Spain).