Tamil Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India has handed over 404 houses built for Indian-origin people in Sri Lanka’s tea plantation areas at Dunsinane Estate in Nuwara Eliya city. This is first lot of houses built under Indian Housing Project in Plantation Areas in Sri Lanka.
Indian Housing Project in Plantation Areas
Under this project close to 47,000 houses so far have been completed out of total 60,000. With grant of over US $350 million, it is India’s largest assistance project in any country. Houses built under it are provided to Indian-origin people, mostly Tamils in Sri Lanka’s tea plantation areas. India is also considering to sign agreement for construction of additional 10,000 houses at cost of 12 billion Sri Lankan Rupees under this project.
Indian-origin Tamils, mostly employed in tea and rubber plantations in Sri Lanka, lack proper housing. They are mostly residing in central hill areas of the island country. They were brought from India by British rulers during 19th century to work in coffee plantations in Sri Lanka. More than million are still associated with tea and rubber plantations. Though they have been given the Sri Lankan citizenship, housing is one of the major issue for these workers employed as daily wagers. Earlier, Sri Lankan Government led by President Maithripala Sirisena had formulated ational plan of action for the plantation workers and planned for construction of 55,000 houses till 2020.
The 12-foot-tall stone statue of renowned Tamil poet and philosopher-saint Thiruvalluvar was inaugurated at Mela Bhawan in Haridwar, Uttarakhand by Chief minister Harish Rawat.
The process introducing Thiruvalluvar statue in Uttarakhand was initiated by former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP from Uttarakhand Tarun Vijay.
Initially the statue was planned for installation on the banks of Ganga River at Har ki Pauri in Haridwar in June 2016 but it was delayed after it faced opposition from priests and saints.
- Thiruvalluvar is renowned Tamil poet and philosopher-saint believed to have lived between 3rd Century BC and 1st Century BC.
- This estimate is based on linguistic analysis of his writings, as there is no historical evidence for when and where he lived
- It is believed that he was born either in ThirunainarKuruchi, a village in Kanyakumari District of Tamil Nadu or in Thiru Mylai (Mylapore) Chennai in Tamil Nadu.
- He is the author of the book ‘Tirukkural (also known as the Kural), a work on ethics. It is one of the most revered ancient literally work in Tamil Language.
- Tirukkural is a classic Tamil sangam literature consisting of 1330 couplets or Kurals. The book is also called as the fifth Veda or ‘Bible of the Tamil Land’.
- The Tamil poet Mamulanar of Sangam period has mentioned that Thiruvalluvar was the greatest Tamil scholar.
Other Statues of Thiruvalluvar
- His 133 foot tall statute at Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu), at southern tip of Indian Peninsula.
- There is also his statue outside the School of Oriental and African studies in Russell Square, London (United Kingdom).