Tamil Nadu Highways Act Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu K Palaniswami has unveiled MGR Centenary Arch on Kamaraj Salai of Chennai.
MGR Centenary Arch
- The MGR Centenary Arch has been built at an estimated cost of 2.52 crore, from the state Secretariat.
- The Centenary Arch 66 feet wide and 52 feet height was proposed to commemorate the birth centenary of the late chief minister MG Ramachandran.
- The division bench of Madras High Court had passed an interim order restraining the state government from inaugurating the arch, off the famous Marina beach, till disposal of public interest litigation petition opposing it last year.
- The Madras High Court had permitted the Tamil Nadu government to unveil the arch but without any ceremony.
Why the Centenary Arch was challenged?
- It was alleged that the arch was constructed by encroaching on arterial Kamarajar Salai and its pedestrian space meant for public use was in total violation of various legislations.
- The Tamil Nadu Highways Act does not permit any permanent structure can be constructed either on the middle or the pathway of a road.
DR M G Ramachandran
DR M G Ramachandran popularly known as M. G. R is an actor, filmmaker and politician who served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for ten years between 1977 and 1987. He has been also honoured with the Bharat Ratna.