Tawang Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Defense Minister on November 14, 2019 addressed at the 11th Maitree Diwas in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh. During his address, he announced several new plans of the government to develop the region
Government new plans
- Government plans to set up a North East Industrial Corridor. It will help create job opportunities for the people in the North East
- The Arunachal Corridor, in specific will act as a bridge between India and South East Asia
- The corridor will help boost employment opportunities and promote trade and tourism
- Government is implementing the “Act East Policy” through development of North East India
- Hollongi Airport is to be set up near Itanagar. Also, three major strategic railway lines are to be established
- Government plans all weather connectivity to the local population. The connectivity will also facilitate the movement of armed forces.
- The plans are to be executed by 2024.
Maitree Diwas is a 2-day socio-military cultural program that is jointly organized by Tawang Civil Administration and Indian Army. The program is organized to celebrate special relationship between the people of Tawang and the Indian army. This year, the theme was
Theme: Know your army.
The objective of the event is to encourage the youths to join armed forces
Tags: Act East Forum • Act East Policy • Arunachal Pradesh • Association of South East Asian Nations • Indian Army
PM Narendra Modi laid Foundation Stone for the Sela Tunnel Project in Arunachal Pradesh across Sela Pass.
Sela Pass is a high-altitude mountain pass located on the border between the Tawang and West Kameng Districts of Arunachal Pradesh. The pass connects Tawang for rest of India.
Key Facts about the Sela Tunnel Project
The important facts about the Sela Tunnel project are:
- The Sela pass tunnel will be constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
- The announcement of the project was done in the Union Budget 2018 by then Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- Project costs Rs. 687 crore and is expected to be completed in the three years.
- The project involves the construction of a road for a total distance of 12.04 km which consist of two tunnels of 1790 and 475 meters.
- The project once completed will reduce the travelling time from Tezpur to Tawang by more than one hour.
- The project will also aid travellers in by-passing the dangerous snow-covered Sela top at a height of 13,700 feet.
An asset to the Defence Forces
The Sela tunnel project will provide all-weather connectivity and reduce travelling time. This aids the swift and fast movement of army troops in Tawang which is a strategically-located district located near the border of China. The tunnel will reduce the travel time between the Indian Army’s 4 Corps headquarters at Tezpur in Assam and Tawang.
The tunnel project will also boost the tourism industry and economic activities in the region as well as north-eastern states.