Telecommunication Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Government has allowed online authentication using Aadhar for new mobile connections.
In this regard Department of Telecom (DoT) has issued guidelines for Aadhaar Electronic-Know Your Customer (e-KYC).
- The e-KYC seeks to make the online process of application and authentication faster and simpler for subscribers.
- Customer through their Aadhaar number and biometrics will online authorise UIDAI to provide demographic details.
- The details will include name, address, date of birth and gender, along with the digitally-signed photograph, to the mobile operator.
- The e-KYC seeks to bring down the cost of subscriber acquisition significantly as telecom companies will not have to spend on physical transportation of forms, verification, scanning and storage.
- Besides it will be an instant, secure and green mobile subscriber verification project, where a customer’s Aadhar card and fingerprints are adequate for both validating and activating prepaid and postpaid connections.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has launched ‘MySpeed’ mobile application for measuring real time mobile Internet speed that consumers get.
This is the first application to be launched under the Digital India initiative, which is directly trying to tackle the issue of poor data speeds.
- Consumers using this app can check the speed of their 3G or 4G connection or the home broadband’s Wi-Fi speed.
- The application allows user to send coverage, data speed and network information along with device and location to a TRAI analytics portal.
- It is available for download on Mobile Seva app store and also on Google Play store. It is compatible with smartphones running on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and above
- The data collected from this app will be directly relayed to TRAI’s analytics portal and keep them apprised of the internet speeds throughout India.