Thaawarchand Gehlot Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
President Ram Nath Kovind will be conferring ‘Vayoshreshtha Samman-2019’ on Eminent Senior Citizens & Institutions in recognition of their services towards the cause of elderly persons on 3 October 2019. The awards will be conferred at a function organized by Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi and Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot will preside over the function.
About Vayoshreshtha Samman
It is a scheme of awards which was instituted by Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (D/o Social Justice & Empowerment) and gradually upgraded to status of National Awards. These awards are presented as part of celebration of International Day of Older Persons (IDOP) on 1st October. The day is celebrated every year on 1st October since the year 2005.
Objective: The Awards are intended-
- To show case Government’s concern for senior citizens and its commitment towards them with the aim of strengthening their legitimate place in society.
- To provide an opportunity to younger generation to understand contribution of elderly in building of society and nation.
It is awarded to–
- Institutions which are involved in providing distinguished service for the cause of elderly persons (especially indigent senior citizens)
- Eminent senior citizens in recognition of their service and achievements
- Individuals from any part of the country
The recipients are drawn from diverse fields and nominations are invited from Governmental and Non-Governmental Agencies.
Tags: Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment • National Awards • Ram Nath Kovind • Thaawarchand Gehlot • Vayoshreshtha Samman
The 2nd Global Disability Summit is being held at Buenos Aires, Argentina from 6 June to 8 June 2019.
From India a delegation headed by Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot, will be participating in Summit. Union Minister also attended ‘1st Global Disability Summit’ held at London, UK in July 2018.
Key Highlights of Summit
Background: the first-ever Global Disability Summit was held at London, United Kingdom (UK) on 24 July 2018. It was hosted by UK Department for International Development (UK DFID), along with the co-hosts International Disability Alliance (IDA) and Government of Kenya. The summit was attended by global leaders from more than 40 countries (including India), who committed to work in direction of economic empowerment of persons with disabilities.
- To deliberate on issues related to empowerment and inclusion of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) across the world.
- To work out a mechanism so as to enable PwDs to live an independent and dignified life.
Significance: The Global leaders attending the summit express their commitments towards eliminating stigma and discrimination against PwDs and to work towards promoting inclusive education, economic empowerment, technology and innovation in assistive devices, data desegregation etc. for them.
Way Ahead: After the Summit, Indian delegation will also be participating in bilateral discussions with Argentina Government for developing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between two countries on 9 June to 10 June 2019.