Thailand Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Morton Mower (US), Sir Michael Marmot (UK) have won the prestigious 2015 Prince Mahidol Award for their outstanding achievements in the international healthcare sector.
Thailand’s kiing Bhumibol Adulyadej bestowed the awards on both of them at a ceremony held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Morton Mower: He has won this award in medicine category for inventing Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (AICD).
- AICD is a device that helps monitor heart rate and rhythm and delivers electrical current when abnormality is detected.
- Sir Michael Marmot: He has on the award in public health category for his evidence-based evaluation of the role of Social Determinants of Health.
- His concept has been adopted by the British government and World Health Organisation (WHO) to eliminate health inequities.
About Prince Mahidol Award
- It is an annual award of Thailand’s Royal Family bestowed upon persons or organization for their outstanding achievements in medicine and public health worldwide.
- The award was established by the King Rama IX Bhumibol Adulyadej in 1992 on the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of the birth of his father, Prince Mahidol.
- The award is given annually in two categories (i) For outstanding progress in medicine (ii) For the active promotion of public health.
- It consists of a medal, a certificate and prize money of US 100,000 dollars.
India has overtaken Thailand as the world’s largest rice exporter in the year 2015 by shipping (exporting) 10.23 million tonnes of rice.
It was announced by the Bangkok based Thai Rice Exporters Association Chairman Charoen Laodhammatas.
- Thailand: The south-east Asian country ranked second on the list of the world’s largest rice exporting countries.
- It has exported 9.8 million tonnes of rice to the world market in year 2015 compared to 10.9 million tonnes in year 2014.
- Vietnam: It was ranked third largest rice exporter with 6.4 million tonnes.
- China: It has remained the number one importer country of rice in the year 2015.