Theatre Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Madhya Pradesh Government has selected renowned theatre personality Prof Raj Bisaria for the prestigious ‘Kalidas Samman’ national award for 2015-16.
He will be bestowed with the prestigious award for achievement in theatre in a ceremony to be held in Ujjain.
About Raj Bisaria
- He was born on November 10, 1935. He is director, producer, actor and educationalist.
- He is best known for blending artistic concepts of the East and the West and the traditional and the modern.
- The Press Trust of India (PTI) describes him as the father of the modern theatre in North India.
- He had founded Theatre Arts Workshop in 1966 and Bhartendu Academy of Dramatic Arts in 1975. He also owns repertory company of Bhartendu Academy of Dramatic Arts founded in 1980.
About Kalidas Samman
It is an annual award constituted by Madhya Pradesh in 1980. It is bestowed upon personalities in the four fields of classical music, classical dance, theatre and arts. Some of the previous recipients are Pandit Ravi Shankar, MF Husain, Pandit Jasraj, Shambhu Mitra, Habib Tanvir, Ebrahim Alkazi etc.
Noted Malayalam theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passed away due age-related ailments in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was 88.
He was dramatist, theatre director and poet. He had written over 26 Malayalam plays and had played a pioneering role in bringing idiom into Malayalam theatre.
About Kavalam Narayana Panicker
- Born on 28 April 1928 in Kavalam, Kerala. He had started his career as a lawyer in 1955 for six years but later devoted himself to art and literature.
- In his long career, he had written over 26 Malayalam plays. Many of these were adapted from classical Sanskrit drama and Shakespeare.
- His notable works include Madhyamavyayogam (1979), Kalidasa’s Vikramorvasiyam (1981), Shakuntalam (1982), Karnabharam (1984), Bhasa’s Uru Bhangam (1988), Swapnavasavadattam and Dootavakyam (1996).
- He also had directed two movies Parvati Viraham (1993) in Kuttiyattam form (a form of Sanskrit theatre) and Mani Madhava Chakyar: The Master at Work (1994).
- He is the founder-director of theatre troupe, Sopanam. He was nominated as Secretary of Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi in 1961.
- Awards and Honours: Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in Direction (1983), Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (2002), Padma Bhushan (2007).
- Erin B. Mee had directed his play Ottayan in New York City in 1993.