Tianhe-2 Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
China’s Tianhe-2 supercomputer has emerged as the world’s most powerful supercomputer system for the sixth consecutive time. It was unveiled in 46th edition of Top500 list of supercomputers.
Key facts from the list
- The Chinese Supercomputer is capable of performing calculations with processing speed of 33.86 petaflops per second (Pflop/s). It has held the title since June 2013.
- Supercomputer Titan of the US Department of Energy has been placed at second position. It has a performance of 17.59 Pflop/s.
- Supercomputer Sequoia of Tech giant IBM was placed at third position. It has processing speed of 17.17 Pflop/s.
- K computer of Fujitsu was placed at fourth position. It has processing speed of 10.51 Pflop/s.
- Supercomputer Mira of IBM placed at fifth position. It has processing speed of 8.58 Pflop/s.
- Supercomputer Tianhe-2 or Milky Way 2 has been developed by China’s National University of Defense Technology.
- It has processing speeds of 33.86 petaflops (1000 trillion calculations) per second.
- Presently, it is deployed at the National Supercomputer Center in Guangzhou and is playing important role in boosting China’s capabilities in both scientific and defence fields.
The Top500 list: It is one of the most authoritative and prestigious rankings list of the world’s supercomputers published biannually. The list is compiled on the basis of the performance of supercomputers by experts from the US and Germany based on the Linpack benchmark.