Time Magazine Current Affairs
Time Magazine has named Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi among the 2016 edition list of 30 most influential people on the internet. He was placed at 15th position.
The list has been topped by the American hip hop artist and entrepreneur Kanye West. 2016 was the second annual edition of list and was compiled based on two primary criteria viz. global impact through social media and overall ability to drive news
As per Time magazine
- PM Narendra Modi has more than 18 million Twitter followers and over 32 million Facebook likes to his official page.
- He is as an Internet star who often uses social media to conduct diplomacy.
Time Magazines 30 Most Influential People on the Internet list
- Kanye West (US).
- Joy Cho (South Korea).
- James Corden (UK).
- Laci Green (US).
- Josh Holz and Daniel Lara (US).
- DJ Khaled (US)
- Johnetta Elzie (US) and DeRay Mckesson (US).
- J.K. Rowling (UK)
- Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg (Sweden)
- Donald Trump (US)
- Lele Pons (US).
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
- Caitlyn Jenner (US)
- Essena O’Neill (US)
- Narendra Modi (India)
- Elise Andrew (UK)
- Ken M (US)
- Lilly Singh (Canada)
- Matt Drudge (US)
- Angie Nwandu (US)
- Andrew Bachelor (Canada)
- Kayla Itsines (US)
- Peter Bouckaert
- Kim Kardashian West (US)
- Josh Ostrovsky (US)
- Drake (US)
- Tess Holliday (US)
- Helen Van Winkle (US)
Time magazine has named German Chancellor Angela Merkel as Person of the Year 2015.
She was named for her role in Europe’s crises over migration and Greek debt as she had provided steadfast moral leadership in a world where it is in short supply.
With this, Merkel became only the 4th woman since 1927 to be named winner and the first women to feature in 29 years. The other women three women to win are Wallis Simpson (1936), Queen Elizabeth II (1952) and Corazon Aquino (1986).
Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was named runner-up and US Presidential hopeful Donald Trump was placed .
About Angela Merkel
- Angela Merkel (full name- Angela Dorothea Kasner) was born on 17 July 1954 in Hamburg, West Germany.
- She is trained as a physicist and had entered politics after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall.
- In 2005 national elections, Merkel became Germany’s first female chancellor, and one of the leading figures of the European Union.
- Prior to entering into politics, she was working as research scientist. She was elected as first women Chancellor of Germany in 2005 and since then is in office.
Time Magazine’s ‘Person of the Year’ title
It is an annual honour that has been bestowed by the magazine. It was started in 1927. Every year it is announced in the month of December. It is given to person who is most influenced in the news during the year and is chosen for better or worse cases in the news.