Tour de France Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Every year France celebrates 14 July as National Day of France also known as Bastille Day. It is commemorated the anniversary of Storming of the Bastille during French Revolution on 14 July 1789.
About French Bastille Day
The Day celebrates storming of Bastille in Paris, which signaled start of French Revolution and became an important symbol for French Republican movement. It is the French National day and is formally called La Fete Nationale in France.
It is celebrated throughout France. It is also celebrated by other countries and especially French speaking peoples and communities in other countries.
On the occasion of day many public events take place but most famous event is Bastille Day Military Parade. It takes place in morning of 14 July in Paris. The 1st parade was in 1880. Today the parade runs down Champs-Elysees from the Arc de Triomphe to Place de la Concorde at the end of which French President and many foreign ambassadors wait and greet military.
Famous bicycle race Tour de France also takes place during Bastille Day.
The Bastille was a medieval armory, fortress, and political prison in Paris. To many of common people, it represented all that was wrong with monarchy and was a symbol of monarchy’s abuse of power. On July 14, 1789 soldiers stormed Bastille and took over it. This signaled the start of French Revolution and three years later in 1792 French Republic was formed.
On day Bastille was stormed it held only seven prisoners as it was only big enough to hold around 50 prisoners.
Bastille Day1st became a national holiday in France in 1880 after being proposed by French politician Benjamin Raspail. This was also year of 1st Bastille Day Military Parade.
Tags: astille Day Military Parade • French Bastille Day • French Revolution • Storming of Bastille • Tour de France
Cyclist Chris Froome from Britain of Team Sky has won the 102nd edition Tour de France, an annual three-week multiple stage bicycle race at Champs Elysees in Paris.
This is second time Froome has won Tour de France title and for the first time he had won it 2013.With this victory, he became the first cyclist from Britain to win the Tour de France for the second time.
It should be noted that the Team Sky has won the race for the 3rd time in last four Tour de France seasons i.e. in 2012, 2013 and 2015.
Top 5 Winners of Tour de France 2015:
- 1st- Chris Froome (Britain) of Team Sky.
- 2nd- Nairo Quintana (Colombia) of Movistar Team.
- 3rd- Alejandro Valverde (Spain) of Movistar Team.
- 4th- Vincenzo Nibali (Kazakhstan) of Astana Pro Team.
- 5th- Alberto Contador (Spain) of Tinkoff-Saxo Team.
About Tour de France
- Tour de France is an annual multiple stage bicycle race primarily held in France. It was first organized in 1903 and currently run by the Amaury Sport Organisation.
- The prestigious cycle race is 3 week-long, traditionally held every year in the month of July and covers around 3,500 kms.
- Each year the route of race changes but the format remains same with the appearance of time trials. The race route passes through the mountain chains of Pyrenees, Alps and finish on the Champs-Élysées in Paris.