Transparency International Current Affairs - 2020
India has been ranked 76th out of 168 countries in the recently released 2015 Corruption Perception Index (CPI).
The 2015 CPI was the 21st edition of the annual index and was published by the Berlin-based corruption watchdog Transparency International (TI).
- In this edition, India has scored 38 on a scale from 0 (most corrupt) to 100 (least corrupt). This score is same as 2014 edition indicating that country is showing lack of improvement.
- India has improved in its ranking compared to earlier position of 85 and 94 in 2014 and 2013, respectively.
- Top 5 Countries: Denmark (score 91), Finland (score 90), Sweden (89 score), New Zealand, Netherlands (87 score) and Norway (87 score).
- Bottom 5 Countries: Angola (rank 163), South Sudan (rank 163), Sudan (rank 165), Afghanistan (rank 166), North Korea (rank 167) and Somalia (rank 167).
- BRICS Countries: South Africa (rank 61), India (76), Brazil (rank 76), China (rank 83) and Russia (rank 119).
- SAARC Countries: Bhutan (rank 27), India (rank 76), Sri Lanka (rank 83), Pakistan (rank 117), Nepal (rank 130) and Bangladesh (rank 139) and Afghanistan (rank 166).
Since 2012, the CPI methodology has been updated to provide for year-over-year precise comparisons. The watchdog uses data to compile the perceptions of the scale of public sector corruption from international institutions like World Bank, the African Development Bank and business school IMD etc.
Tags: Corruption • Corruption Perception Index 2015 • Current Affairs - 2017 • Current Affairs 2016 • Industry
Transparency International has ranked India at 85th place in its Corruption Perception Index 2014 (CPI) which enlisted 178 countries. India scored 38 on a scale from 0 (most corrupt) to 100 (least corrupt). The CPI score of India has increased by 2 points in 2014 from its 2013 score of 36, thus helping India’s rank move up to 85 in 2014 from 94 in 2013.
Top 3: Denmark (Score -92), New Zealand (Score -91) and Finland (Score -89)
Bottom 4: Afghanistan (Score -12), Sudan (Score -11), North Korea (Score -8) and Somalia (Score – 8).
India’s neighbours in Corruption Perception Index 2014
- Bhutan was placed at 30th
- Sri Lanka was placed at 85th rank along with India.
- China was placed at 100th
- Pakistan and Nepal were placed at 126th
- Bangladesh was placed at 145th
- Afghanistan was placed at 172th rank.
From 2012, the CPI methodology has been updated to provide for year-over-year comparisons.