Transportation Current Affairs - 2020
The Union Government is going to soon float tenders to invite bids for the development for 36 inland waterways projects in the first phase.
This move will help to tap the huge potential in the so-far-untapped inland waterways transport segment despite India being endowed with natural rivers suitable for it.
- Earlier, Parliament had enacted a legislation allowing 106 rivers across the country to be converted into National Waterways (NWs) in addition to the existing 5 such NWs.
- The law was enacted in a bid to boost movement of goods and passengers via rivers and reduce transportation costs substantially.
Advantages of Inland water transport
- It is environment-friendly and cost-effective mode of transportation.
- It will reduce the logistics costs significantly which are currently as high as 18% in India.
- India has huge natural geographical potential for inland waterways as 14,500 km of river channels are navigable.
- Development inland waterways can spur industrial growth and tourism potential along the waterway especially in plain areas of North India.
- The statutory status to the inland waterways would pave for investments in inland waterways transportation sector which has been neglected in the past.
- It would provide a cheaper mode of transport and reducing traffic burden and congestion on roads and railways.
- Seasonal variations in water level especially in the rain-fed rivers of the peninsula may cause hindrance to inland waterway projects.
- Diversion of river water for irrigation, industrial and domestic purpose may affect the viability of these projects.
- Inland waterways may cause serious environmental threat to Gangetic river dolphins, national Aquatic animal of India.
Tags: Inland Waterways • National • Transportation
The Union Government has launched a new service -integration of DigiLocker with Driving Licenses (DL) & Vehicle Registration Certificates (RC).
It was jointly launched by Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari and Union Minister of Electronics & Information Technology and Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad in New Delhi.
- With this integration people will no longer need to carry around physical copies of their Driving Licences and RCs.
- Using DigiLocker mobile app, they can instead access digital copies of the same on their mobile phones.
- Besides, DLs and VRC documents will be now issued directly to the DigiLockers of individuals in digital formats.
- These digital copies also can be shared with other government departments as identity and address proof.
- They can also be used for on the spot verification through the citizen’s mobile, by various law enforcement authorities like the Traffic Police.
- Besides, it will also result in assured authenticity of such documents and reduction of administrative overhead.
- DigiLocker is a key initiative under Digital India programme and serves as a platform for issuance of documents and certificates in a digital way.
- The integration of VRCs and DLs with DigiLocker will bring a major shift in the vision of paperless governance.
- It will also bring efficiency to the entire process of issuance of driving licenses and vehicle registration certificates through IT enablement.
Tags: Current Affairs 2016 • DigiLocker • Digital India • Government Schemes • National