Trasportation Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
NHAI inks MoU with IIT-Kharagpur to develop technology to construct maintenance free highways in India
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has signed MOU with IIT-Kharagpur for research project to develop technology to construct long lasting maintenance free highways.
Under this MoU, IIT-Kharagpur will develop ‘Paneled Cement Concrete Pavements’ for highways. The duration of the research project is 3 years.
- Traditionally in India, the highways are paved with bituminous material produced from refineries.
- However, these highways are prone to damage and need frequent maintenance due to adverse climatic conditions such as rain and hot weather prevailing in the country.
- Therefore, to overcome this problem, the Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry recently had announced a policy for the construction of concrete pavements for all major highways due to their longevity and maintenance free life.
Paneled Concrete Pavement
- The paneled concrete pavement can facilitate faster construction of highways at much cheaper cost by consuming fewer natural resources and thus promote Green Highways in the country.
- This concrete will be laid on a lean concrete base which can provide long lasting maintenance free pavement at a cost on par with those of bituminous pavements.