Tribal Development Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On December 2, 2019, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs provided financial assistance for the upgradation and modernization of the Ekalavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS). Each school is to be provided with a net amount of Rs 5 crores.
The sanctioned amount will be used to renovate classrooms, expand existing academic blocks, fulfil the requirement of furniture, sanitation facilities, construction of hostel rooms, etc.
The funds are allocated to the scheme under Article 275(1) of the constitution. The article allows GoI to allocate funds annually to different states, schemes or groups to meet their costs. The article also allows to pay the schemes from Consolidated Fund of India.
The Ekalavya Model Residential Schools is a scheme under Ministry of Tribal Affairs. It was introduced in the year 1997-98 for better access of quality education to remote tribal children.
In the previous budget, it was announced that every block of the EMRS with more than 50% of ST population and at least 20,000 of tribal population will be provided with an EMRS by the end of 2022.
Under the scheme, government provides 30 lakhs grant for establishment of the schools and thereafter 30 lakhs annually. Until December 2018, 284 EMRS have been sanctioned.
Tags: Constitution • Education • funds • Ministry of Tribal Affairs • Scheduled Tribes
The Ministry of Tribal Affairs launched the Van Dhan Internship Programme on October 17, 2019. Under the ministry, the program will be organized by the TRIFED (Tribal cooperative marketing Development Federation of India). The program will train the interns and the interns will help the tribal population in becoming self reliant and entrepreneurs.
Highlights of the program
- 18 interns from the reputed Government institutes of social work/ social services/ management institutions/ rural management will be participating in the program
- The interns will be the pioneer field workers of the program
- They will have inclination towards matters related to tribal livelihood.
- The period of internship is 6 months.
- The interns are to be provided proper training for a week.
TRIFED was established in 1987. The objective of the organization is to provide good price for the goods and products made or collected by the tribal people. It fixes prices for the goods collected by them.
Objectives of TRIFED
- To ensure sustainable harvest and fair price for the “Minor Forest Produce”.
- To protect the tribes from exploitation of business men
- TRIFED arranges for compensation of the price of the products produced by the tribal population fluctuates.
- It provides adequate training to the tribes to increase value addition to their products.