Tripura Sundari Express Current Affairs
The Union Railway Ministry has flagged off the maiden broad gage train service dubbed as ‘Tripura Sundari Express’ from Agartala (Tripura) to Delhi.
It was flagged off by Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu. With this, the landlocked north eastern state of Tripura entered the broad gauge railway map of the country.
- The ‘Tripura Sundari Express’ will run weekly between Anand Vihar (Delhi) and Agartala (Tripura).
- The train service will cover distance of 2461 kms in 46 hours and 50 minutes. It will have commercial stoppages at 16 stations.
- The train will leave Agartala for Anand Vihar (Delhi) every Thursday and will leave Anand Vihar for the return journey every Monday.
Besides, the Railway Minister also laid the foundation stone of the Agartala-Akhaura International Rail link Project (India–Bangladesh Board Gauge Rail link Project) along with Bangladesh Railway Minister Mazibul Hoque.
- The ambitious India–Bangladesh Board Gauge Rail link Project was mooted in 2012 after both countries signed a MoU in February 2013.
- Under this MoU, both countries had decided to create 15.06km railway line of which 10km falls in Bangladesh. India will bear entire expenditure of Rs.968 crore of this project.
- This project will be part of the trans-Asian rail connectivity and play an important role in connecting Sabroom, southern most border city of Tripura with Chittagong international sea port which is just 75 km.