The Union Bank of India (UBI) has launch an Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) based *99# mobile application for their customers for basic banking needs.
It was launched in partnership with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella organisation for all retail payments system in the country.
- *99# mobile application can be downloaded in an android smartphone from the Google Play Store by the bank customers.
- It can be used even without any internet connection as it does not require any data and is available in 10 languages.
- It provides basic banking facilities like checking account balance, sending money, Mobile PIN (MPIN) management.
- Besides, it provides value added services like checking Aadhaar linked overdraft status and PMJDY account overdraft status.
About Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD)
- USSD is a GSM based technology i.e. used to send text between a mobile phone and an application program in the network.
- It is sometimes referred to as Quick Codes or Feature codes. It is a protocol used by GSM cellular telephones to communicate with the service provider’s computers.
- Unlike Short Message Service (SMS) messages, USSD messages create a real-time connection during a USSD session. So they are more responsive than services that use SMS.
- It can be used for prepaid callback service, WAP browsing, mobile-money services, location-based content services, menu-based information services etc.