UDAY Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Minister of Railways and Coal, Piyush Goyal has been awarded the Carnot Prize 2018 for the transformational changes brought by him during his tenure as Union Minister of Power.
Piyush Goyal during his tenure as Union Minister of Power, coal, new and renewable energy, and mines brought in transformational changes in the Power Sector which includes fast-track electrification of nearly 18,000 villages in some of the most remote and inaccessible parts of the country, rolling out a comprehensive power sector reform plan UDAY, the world’s largest LED bulb distribution program, and the world’s largest renewable energy expansion program. The award honours his exceptional service towards reforming the power sector in the country.
Accepting the award Piyush Goyal announced that government has embarked on an ambitious programme to ensure 100 per cent electrification of Railway’s grid in the next five years.
About Carnot Prize
The Carnot Prize is the annual recognition by the US-based Kleinman Center for Energy Policy for distinguished contributions to energy policy through scholarship or practice.
The prize has been named after French scientist Sadi Carnot, who in 1824 published Reflections on the Motive Power of Fire, which became the basis for the second law of thermodynamics. Carnot recognized that the power of the steam engine would “produce a great revolution” in human development.
The Carnot Prize is awarded to honour those who have revolutionized our understanding of energy policy.
Tags: 100% Electrification of Railways • Carnot Prize • Kleinman Center for Energy Policy • Piyush Goyal • Sadi Carnot • second law of thermodynamics • UDAY • Union Minister of Power • Union Minister of Railways
Sikkim became 22nd state in the country to join Union Government’s Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY).
In this regard, Central Government and the state government have signed MoU for operational improvement of Sikkim’s Power Distribution Department.
- The MoU paves way to improve operational efficiency of the Power Distribution department of the State. It will derive an Overall Net Benefit of approximately Rs. 356 crores to the state.
- AT&C losses and transmission losses in the state will be brought down through compulsory distribution transformer metering, consumer indexing & GIS mapping of losses, upgrading transformers, meters etc.
- Besides, smart metering of high-end consumers, feeder audit etc, eliminating the gap between cost of supply of power and realisation will also aid to reduce loses.
About Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojna (UDAY)
- UDAY Scheme was launched by Union Ministry of Power for financial restructuring of debt of power distribution companies.
- It aims for financial revival and turnaround of Power Distribution companies (DISCOMs) and also ensures a sustainable permanent solution to the problem.
- By becoming part of it, states power DISCOMs can convert their debt into state bonds as well as roll out number of measures to improve efficiency at power plants.
- It seeks to make DISCOMs financially and operationally healthy so that they can supply adequate power at affordable rates and play important role in Government’s ambition of meeting target of 100% Village electrification and 24X7 Power For All.