Ujjwala Yojana Current Affairs
The number of beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana for providing free of cost LPG (cooking gas) connections to BPL households has crossed 2 crore mark since its launch in May 2016.
The success of the scheme shows that how it is serving as a novel means of women empowerment and achieving the goals of providing clean fuel and a better life to the people.
About Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- The Ujjwala Yojana was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in May 2016 from Maldepur Morh, Ballia in Uttar Pradesh.
- Tagline for the scheme: Swachh Indhan, Behtar Jeevan.
- Purpose of the scheme: Empower women and protect their health by shifting them from traditional cooking based on unclean cooking fuels or on fossil fuels to clean cooking gas.
- Beneficiary: Under the scheme, an adult woman member of a BPL will be given deposit-free LPG connection with financial assistance of Rs 1,600 per connection by the Centre.
- Identification of beneficiaries: It will be through the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) in consultation with state governments and Union territories.
- Implementing Ministry: The scheme is being implemented by the Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. It is first welfare scheme implemented by the Ministry.
- Targets: 8,000 crore has been earmarked for providing 5 crore LPG connections to poor households within 3 years by 2019.