Ujjwala Yojana Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On October 25, 2019, Union Minister Amit Shah allocated 1000 LPG connections to women in Gandhinagar district of Gujarat. This makes Gandhinagar first district in Gujarat to become kerosene-free.
- The cooking gas was allotted to the women as a part of Ujjwala Yojana. The scheme has covered more than 75,000 beneficiaries at a cost of 6.13 crore rupees
- The home minister also handed over 480 middle income group houses in the same event
- Also, drinking water schemes were launched locally for the areas like Kudasan, Raysan, Sargasan in the district
- The minister laid foundation stones for development projects that includes underpass and two roads.
- A control center was inaugurated by the minister. The center will distribute beneficiary cards for the schemes of old age persons, widow women and Ayushman Bharat beneficiaries.
Kerosene free states
Chandigarh became the first city to become kerosene free. Government has been making plans since 2016 to reduce the usage of kerosene all over the country. The subsidies to kerosene will be completely removed by 2020. By 2018, over 8 states and Union Territories in the country became kerosene free namely Puducherry, Daman-Diu, Dadra Nagar Haveli, Andhra Pradesh, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana and Punjab.
Tags: Cooking Gas • Fuel • Gujarat [GPSC] • LPG • LPG Scheme
The Ujjwala Yojana was first of its kind welfare scheme initiated by the Ministry of Petroleum. But the viability of the scheme was questioned citing that there would not be refills from the beneficiaries of the scheme. The current data from the Ministry of Petroleum has put the refill rate at 80%.
Refilling of cylinders under Ujjwala
The data from the Ministry of Petroleum states that around six crore connections were disbursed under the Ujjwala scheme. There were 23 crore refills under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana.
Almost 80 per cent of the recipients have opted for a refill of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) cylinders. The average refilling was four for the Ujjwala connections and in some cases, there were refills up to 12.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana LPG connections will be provided to BPL families with the support of Rs.1600 per connection. The connections will be issued in the name of women of the households. The identification of the BPL families will be done through 2011 Socio-Economic Caste Census Data.
The scheme aims to safeguard the health of women & children by providing them with a clean cooking fuel of LPG, so that they don’t have to compromise their health in smoky kitchens or wander in unsafe areas collecting firewood.
Tags: cylinder refill • LPG Connections • Ujjwala Yojana