Ukraine Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The World Steel Association has released a Report highlighting various trends related to the Industry, they are:
- China is the largest producer of crude steel and it accounts for more than 51 per cent of global production. China’s share has been increased from 50.3 per cent in 2017 to 51.3 per cent in 2018.
- The production in China increased by 6.6 per cent from 870.9 MT in 2017to 928.3 million tonnes (MT) in 2018.
- India has replaced Japan as the world’s second-largest steel producing country.
- The Steel production in India increased by 4.9 per cent from 101.5 MT in 2017 to 106.5 MT in 2018.
- The global crude steel production increased by 4.6 per cent from 1,729.8 MT in 2017 to 1,808.6 MT in 2018.
- Other countries in the Top 10 list of steel producing nations include US at United States, at the 4th position as the country produced 86.7 MT of crude steel in 2018, South Korea (72.5 MT, 5th place), Russia (71.7 MT, 6th), Germany (42.4 MT, 7th), Turkey (37.3 MT, 8th), Brazil (34.7 MT, 9th) and Iran (25 MT, 10th).
- Among other countries, Italy produced 24.5 MT of crude steel in 2018, France (15.4 MT), Spain (14.3 MT), and Ukraine (21.1 MT).
World Steel Association
The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is a non-profit organisation with headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. Founded as International Iron and Steel Institute on 10 July 1967, it changed its name to the World Steel Association on 6 October 2008.
It represents over 160 steel producers (including 9 of the world’s 10 largest steel companies), national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes and the members cover around 85% of world steel production.
Ukraine has launched annual joint military exercise named Rapid Trident with United States and other NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) member countries. The exercise will place in western Ukrainian village of Starychi from September 2 to 15, 2018. Its main goal is to practice countering armed aggression in conditions of the hybrid war. It is being conducted week before Russia holds its biggest military exercise Vostok-2018 since Cold War, in eastern part of the country and with participation of China and Mongolia.
Rapid Trident Exercise 2018
The exercise is composed of multinational, brigade-level, computer-assisted command post exercise, that is ntegrated with battalion-level field training exercise, and platoon-level situational training exercise. It will see participation of around 2,200 soldiers (all having combat experience) from 14 countries including the UK, Canada, Georgia, Turkey, Poland and Germany. During this exercise, armored vehicles, aviation units and around 350 pieces of military equipment will be used. It will also for first time will see participation of Ukrainian Border Guard Service and National Guard troops.