Ukraine Current Affairs
Ukraine has launched annual joint military exercise named Rapid Trident with United States and other NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) member countries. The exercise will place in western Ukrainian village of Starychi from September 2 to 15, 2018. Its main goal is to practice countering armed aggression in conditions of the hybrid war. It is being conducted week before Russia holds its biggest military exercise Vostok-2018 since Cold War, in eastern part of the country and with participation of China and Mongolia.
Rapid Trident Exercise 2018
The exercise is composed of multinational, brigade-level, computer-assisted command post exercise, that is ntegrated with battalion-level field training exercise, and platoon-level situational training exercise. It will see participation of around 2,200 soldiers (all having combat experience) from 14 countries including the UK, Canada, Georgia, Turkey, Poland and Germany. During this exercise, armored vehicles, aviation units and around 350 pieces of military equipment will be used. It will also for first time will see participation of Ukrainian Border Guard Service and National Guard troops.
Reliance Infra-led Reliance Defence Ltd has signed a strategic partnership agreement with 3 Ukrainian state firms to collaborate on a range of military products.
These three Ukrainian state-owned firms are Ukroboronprom, Spetstechno Exports and Antonov.
- The strategic collaboration will be for range of military products including transport aircraft, armoured vehicles, maritime gas turbines and unmanned aerial vehicles.
- Under the agreement with Antonov, both companies will jointly bid for the medium military transport aircraft programme of the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL).
- In addition they will also collaborate for assembly, manufacture and maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) of Antonov series of aircraft.
- This collaboration will mainly address the requirements of the Indian market and also the agreed global markets.
- Cooperation between Reliance Defence and Spetstechno Exports will focus on upgrade programs for the BMP 2 and Armoured Vehicles, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and Marine Gas Turbines for the Indian Navy Frigate program in India.
Reliance Defence is a wholly owned subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure led by Anil Ambani. Antonov is globally known as the manufacturer of the largest transport aircraft in the world.
Currently, the Indian Air Force (IAF) operates more than 100 AN-32 aircraft, which forms the backbone of its transport fleet.