Umbrella Schemes for Relief and Rehabilitation of Migrants and Repatriates Current Affairs
The Union Cabinet has approved continuance of 8 existing schemes of Ministry of Home Affairs for relief and rehabilitation of migrants and repatriates upto March 2020 under Umbrella scheme Relief and Rehabilitation of Migrants and Repatriates. The schemes will provide relief and rehabilitation assistance to refugees, displaced persons, civilian victims of terrorist, communal, Left Wing Extremism (LWE) violence and cross border firing and mine and IED blasts on Indian territory and riot victims of various incidents etc.
8 schemes are
- Central Assistance for one-time settlement of displaced families from Pak Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (PoJK) and Chhamb settled in J&K.
- Rehabilitation Package and up-gradation of infrastructure of Bangladeshi Enclaves and Cooch Behar District after transfer of enclaves between India and Bangladesh under Land Boundary Agreement (LBA).
- Relief assistance to Sri Lankan refugees staying in camps in Tamil Nadu and Odisha.
- Grant-in-Aid to Central Tibetan Relief Committee (CTRC) for 5 years for administrative and social welfare expenses of Tibetan settlements.
- Grant-in-Aid to Tripura Government for maintenance of Brus lodged in relief camps of Tripura.
- Rehabilitation of Bru and Reang families from Tripura to Mizoram.
- Grant of enhanced relief of Rs. 5.00 lakh per deceased person, who died during 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots.
- Central Scheme for Assistance to Civilian Victims, Family of Victims of Terrorist, Communal, LWE Violence and Cross Border Firing and Mine and IED blasts on Indian Territory.
The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had launched 8 schemes at different points of time to enable migrants and repatriates, who have suffered on account of displacement to earn reasonable income and to facilitate their inclusion in mainstream economic activities.