UN Development Programme Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Saraswathi Menon, an eminent Indian academician has been named on advisory panel to Review UN Peace-Building Architecture.
She is among seven experts nominated by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to conduct a policy and institutional review on UN’s peace-building architecture and make recommendations.
The other 6 experts are: Anis Bajwa (Pakistan), Funmi Olonisakin (Nigeria), Sahel Sahara Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah (Mauritania), Charles Petrie (France), Gert Rosenthal (Guatemala) and Edith Grace Ssempala (Uganda).
7 expert’s advisory group function:
- It will undertake studies in countries like Burundi, Central African Republic, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, and Timor-Leste in order to conduct a policy and institutional review of the UN peace-building architecture.
- It will also develop findings and recommendations based on this work.
- The group will submit a report to the General Assembly and the Security Council for further consideration through an inter-governmental process.
Earlier in December 2014, the Presidents of the UN General Assembly and the Security Council had asked the Secretary-General to nominate up to seven experts to form an Advisory Group on the review of the peace-building architecture.
About Saraswathi Menon
- She is former Director of the Policy Division in UN-Women and has extensive experience as a researcher and academician as well as in the UN system.
- Earlier she was Director of UN Development Programme’s (UNDP) Evaluation Office.
- Her UN career includes experience in both policy and programme areas. She has served in UNDP as Resident Coordinator, Deputy Resident Representative in various countries.
- Before joining the UNDP, she was lecturer in sociology at the Madras University, Tamil Nadu.