UN Secretary-General Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The United Nations (UN) Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres appointed 17 global figures which includes China’s Alibaba chief Jack Ma and Indian actress Dia Mirza as the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) advocates. Jack Ma, the founder and Executive Chairman of Chinese MNC Alibaba Group has been an SDG Advocate since 2016.
About the New SDG Advocates of UN
- Who are they? New class of SDG, Advocates are globally influential public figures who are committed to inspiring greater ambition, raising awareness, and pushing for faster action on SDGs.
- Function: The new SDG advocates are tasked to work together so as to drive action, build ambition, solidify global political will, and leverage and build bridges between their audiences to drive progress on achieving ambitious SDGs.
- Representation: These New Advocates which includes representatives from academia,
- Business, sport, entertainment, governments, and activist organizations around the world shows the universal character of SDGs.
- SDG Advocates will utilize their unique platforms and leadership skills to inspire and mobilize global community in order to build momentum for transformative, inclusive development by 2030.
About Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- The SDGs were born at United Nations (UN) Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro in 2012.
- The SDGs replaced Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) which were active from 2000-2015.
- They are also known as ‘Global Goals’ and were adopted by world leaders on September 25, 2015. The adoption year 2015 coincides with other historic agreement like ‘COP21 Paris Climate Conference’ and ‘Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction’, signed in Japan in March 2015,
- It is a set of 17 Universal Goals, that seeks to meet urgent environmental, political and economic challenges facing our world. For ex- Poverty, Hunger, Education, Climate Change, Peace etc.
NOTE: The 38 year old Dia Mirza, is an actor, film producer and United Nation Environment Program (UNEP) Goodwill Ambassador for India.
Tags: Antonio Guterres • CoP21 • Dia Mirza • Jack Ma • Japan • MDG • Millennium Development Goals • Paris Climate Conference • SDG • SDG Advocates of UN • Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction • Sustainable Development Goals • UN • UN Secretary-General • UNEP • United Nation Environment Program
About 115 peacekeepers from 43 different nations, who sacrificed their lives in line of duty were paid tribute by UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres along with other top UN officials and Peacekeeping personnel.
- Among those honoured by global organisation were two Indians named Jitender Kumar and Shikha Garg. They lost their lives in paece keeping services between January 2018 and March 2019.
- Jitender Kumar: was an Indian police officer deployed to UN Organisation Stabilisation Mission in Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).
- Shikha Garg: was a consultant with UN Development Programme (UNDP), attached with India’s Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. She was killed in Ethiopian Airlines (ET 302) plane crash.
- 103 out of 1155 peacekeepers were African peacekeepers. At tribute ceremony their names were read out loud and it was attended by diplomats and family members of those who have fallen.