UN Secretary-General Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian Army’s Lieutenant General Shailesh Tinaikar was as appointed the new force commander of UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) by UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres.
About Lieutenant General Shailesh Tinaikar
- He is a decorated Indian Army officer who has had over 34 years of long distinguished career with Indian Armed Forces.
- Defence Service: In 1983, he graduated from Indian Military Academy (IMA). From year 1996 to 1997, he served in United Nations Angola Verification Mission III (UNAVM-III) and from 2008 to 2009, in United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMISS).
- In between 2012 and 2017 he also commanded a division, a recruit training centre and a brigade. Later from 2017 to 2018 served as the Additional Director General of Military Operations (ADGMO) at Army Headquarters. Since 2018 he was serving as Commandant of the Infantry School.
- He holds a Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) in Defence and Strategic Studies from The University of Madras.
- Awards: He has won the Sena Medal and the Vishisht Seva Medal for his service to Indian Army.
- UNMISS Appointment: The 57-year-old Lieutenant General Tinaikar succeeded Lieutenant General Frank Kamanzi of Rwanda who completed his assignment on 26 May 2019. He will command over 16,000 peacekeepers with about 2,400 from India, in South Sudan in UNMISS.
India and UNPKF
- India is the fourth largest contributor of uniformed personnel to UN peacekeeping missions (blue helmet) throughout the world.
- At present India contributes more than 6,400 military and police personnel to UN peace operations in the Middle East, Lebanon, Abyei, the Western Sahara, Haiti, Cyprus, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- It was created in July 2011 when South Sudan gained independence from Sudan. It is the second biggest peacekeeping operation.
- Until now over 67 UN peacekeepers have died while serving in mission.
- As of March 2019 UNMISS has deployed 19,400 personnel with it.
- India is second highest troop contributing country to UNMISS. India contributes about 2,337 Indian peacekeepers second only after Rwanda with 2,750. In addition to this India currently contributes 22 police personnel also.
Tags: Antonio Guterres • ieutenant General Frank Kamanzi • India and UNPKF • Lieutenant General Shailesh Tinaikar • Sena Medal • South Sudan • UN Peacekeeping Missions • UN Secretary-General • United Nations Angola Verification Mission III (UNAVM-III) • United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMISS).\ • UNMISS • Vishisht Seva Medal
The United Nations (UN) Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres appointed 17 global figures which includes China’s Alibaba chief Jack Ma and Indian actress Dia Mirza as the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) advocates. Jack Ma, the founder and Executive Chairman of Chinese MNC Alibaba Group has been an SDG Advocate since 2016.
About the New SDG Advocates of UN
- Who are they? New class of SDG, Advocates are globally influential public figures who are committed to inspiring greater ambition, raising awareness, and pushing for faster action on SDGs.
- Function: The new SDG advocates are tasked to work together so as to drive action, build ambition, solidify global political will, and leverage and build bridges between their audiences to drive progress on achieving ambitious SDGs.
- Representation: These New Advocates which includes representatives from academia,
- Business, sport, entertainment, governments, and activist organizations around the world shows the universal character of SDGs.
- SDG Advocates will utilize their unique platforms and leadership skills to inspire and mobilize global community in order to build momentum for transformative, inclusive development by 2030.
About Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- The SDGs were born at United Nations (UN) Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro in 2012.
- The SDGs replaced Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) which were active from 2000-2015.
- They are also known as ‘Global Goals’ and were adopted by world leaders on September 25, 2015. The adoption year 2015 coincides with other historic agreement like ‘COP21 Paris Climate Conference’ and ‘Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction’, signed in Japan in March 2015,
- It is a set of 17 Universal Goals, that seeks to meet urgent environmental, political and economic challenges facing our world. For ex- Poverty, Hunger, Education, Climate Change, Peace etc.
NOTE: The 38 year old Dia Mirza, is an actor, film producer and United Nation Environment Program (UNEP) Goodwill Ambassador for India.
Tags: Antonio Guterres • CoP21 • Dia Mirza • Jack Ma • Japan • MDG • Millennium Development Goals • Paris Climate Conference • SDG • SDG Advocates of UN • Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction • Sustainable Development Goals • UN • UN Secretary-General • UNEP • United Nation Environment Program