UN Women Current Affairs - 2020
To help global efforts to ensure gender equality and empowerment of women, India contributed $1 million to the UN as the fourth installment of India’s multi-year pledge to provide USD 5 Mn to UN Women (United Nations entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women).
- India’s Permanent Representative to the UN, Mr. Asoke K Mukerji urged UN Women to focus on increasing the use of information and communication technology for empowerment of women.
About UN Women
UN Women is a United Nations entity working for the empowerment of women and girls.
- Became operational in January 2011
- Member of the United Nations Development Group
- Headquarters at New York, USA
- UN Women’s Office based in New Delhi covers four countries: India, Bhutan, Maldives and Sri Lanka. In these countries, the organization strengthen women’s rights by working with women, men, feminists, women’s networks, governments, local authorities and civil society.
- It stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on many priority areas such as Ending violence against women, Promoting Leadership and Participation, Economic Empowerment, national planning and budgeting for women, etc.
Tags: Bhutan • Current Affairs 2013 • Maldives • Socio-Economic • Sri Lanka