UNCTAD Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
As per the recently released 2016 World Investment Report, India ranks 10th in FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) inflows.
As per the report, India’s FDI inflows have increased to 44 billion dollars in 2015 as compared to 35 billion dollars in 2014.
Key highlights of the report
- Top 10 Countries are: United States, Hong Kong, China, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Singapore, Brazil, Canada and India.
- United States with 380 billion dollars FDI inflows has topped the list.
- China with FDI inflows at 136 billion dollars (more than three times India’s FDI) in 2015 was ranked third.
- Globally, the FDI activity has increased by 38%,signalling revival in investment sentiments is on the cards.
- In terms of FDI outflows, there has been a decline in most developing and transition regions. However, in this case China is one of the exceptions.
- Striking the right balance between regulation and liberalization to promote investment for sustainable development is also highlighted.
- Liberalization measures have been applied by eliminating or relaxing entry requirements in financial services, aviation, mining and real estate.
- Restrictions, on the other hand, have been imposed on the national security and related reasons.
India has topped in the regional inflow of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in South Asia region during year 2014, accounting for 34 billion US dollars investments.
It was revealed in United Nations Conference on Trade and Development’s (UNCTAD’s) World Investment Report 2015.
As per the report
- FDI inflow to India has surged by 22 per cent to about 34 billion US dollars. India has improved its position to 9th top host country in the world for FDI in 2014.
- Owing to good performance of India, the FDI inflows to South Asia region has rose to 41 billion US dollars in 2014.
- Top five FDI recipients in South Asia: India, Iran, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka.
- The report had divided Asia into three sub-regions viz East and South East Asia, West Asia and South Asia.
- China is the world’s largest recipient of FDI with 129 billion dollars investments and has toppled US (92 billion dollars).
- Outward flow of FDI: US had largest outward flow of FDI of 337 billion dollars followed by Hong Kong-China (142 billion dollars) and China (116 billion dollars).
- India was also the biggest investor in terms of outward FDI in South Asia region with 9.8 billion dollars. It had marked an increase of 486 per cent compared to year 2013.