UNCTAD Current Affairs - 2020
India has topped in the regional inflow of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in South Asia region during year 2014, accounting for 34 billion US dollars investments.
It was revealed in United Nations Conference on Trade and Development’s (UNCTAD’s) World Investment Report 2015.
As per the report
- FDI inflow to India has surged by 22 per cent to about 34 billion US dollars. India has improved its position to 9th top host country in the world for FDI in 2014.
- Owing to good performance of India, the FDI inflows to South Asia region has rose to 41 billion US dollars in 2014.
- Top five FDI recipients in South Asia: India, Iran, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka.
- The report had divided Asia into three sub-regions viz East and South East Asia, West Asia and South Asia.
- China is the world’s largest recipient of FDI with 129 billion dollars investments and has toppled US (92 billion dollars).
- Outward flow of FDI: US had largest outward flow of FDI of 337 billion dollars followed by Hong Kong-China (142 billion dollars) and China (116 billion dollars).
- India was also the biggest investor in terms of outward FDI in South Asia region with 9.8 billion dollars. It had marked an increase of 486 per cent compared to year 2013.