UNESCO Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The International Forum on adopting ICT Perspective to Education and Learning has begun in New Delhi. It will be held from 31th October to 4th November 2016.
It has been organised by the International Bureau of Education (IBE), UNESCO in partnership with Google and the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The forum targets mainly countries which are implementing the UNESCO developed General Education Quality Analysis Framework (GEQAF).
- Participating countries include Egypt, Azerbaijan, Botswana, Gabon, India, Lithuania, Oman, Seychelles, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Mauritius, US and Swaziland.
- It has been designed differently than the common practice of conferences and workshop characterized by extensive presentations.
- It seeks to build on concrete cases of ICT integration and inclusion thought practical hands-on activities. Best practice cases from countries will be presented.
About International Bureau of Education (IBE)
- IBE is a UNESCO category 1 institute mandated as the Centre of Excellence in curriculum and related matters.
- It supports countries efforts both through direct technical assistance and also by proving platform to share experiences and best practices from around the world.
- It also helps to build country’s capacity to harness technology to strengthen education systems for sustained improvement of education quality, equity and inclusion.
Turkish musician Kudsi Erguner was appointed as the UNESCO Artist for Peace by the Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova.
He was appointed after the opening ceremony of the 40th session of the World Heritage Committee (WHC) held in Istanbul, Turkey.
He was named UNESCO Artist for Peace in recognition of his
- Efforts to promote the universal values of music, an essential instrument of dialogue between cultures.
- Contribution to the protection of musical heritage, his support for the International Decade of the Rapprochement of Cultures (2013-2022).
- Unwavering commitment to the ideals of the Organization.
About Kudsi Erguner
- Kudsi Erguner was born in 1952 in Turkey. He is a musician, player of the ney (reed flute), musicologist, composer, teacher, author and translator.
- He was trained by his father, Ulvi Ergüner who was the last great master of the ney flute. He has given concerts all over the world and helped revive traditional musical trends.
- He has collaborated with prestigious artists such as Maurice Bejart, Peter Brook, Peter Gabriel and Didier Lockwood which helped to spread this music to Western audiences.
About UNESCO Artists for Peace
- They are internationally renowned personalities who use their charisma, influence and prestige to promote the message and UNESCO programs. The programme was started in 1995.
- By appointing them, UNESCO works with them to increase public awareness regarding key development issues and the role of the Organization in these areas.