Union Defence Minister Current Affairs - 2020
Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has scripted history by becoming first Defence Minister to fly Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) ‘Tejas’, an indigenously-built multi-role fighter aircraft. He undertook 30-minute sortie in LCA Tejas along with Air Vice Marshall Narmdeshwar Tiwari, at the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Airport in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Defence Minister even controlled ‘Tejas’ in the air for some time and was shown Avionics and Sophisticated Systems onboard the aircraft.
About Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas
It is fourth-generation fighter aircraft with several critical capabilities and is thus meant to strengthen India’s air defence capabilities.
It is an indigenous light weight, multi role supersonic fighter aircraft developed in both fighter and trainer versions. To reduce weight and increase component of LCA Tejas, life Advanced materials such as composites are used in its manufacture.
It is designed to carry a veritable plethora of air-to-air, air-to- surface, precision guided as well as standoff weaponry.
It has been developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).
Tags: Aeronautical Development Agency • Defence Research and Development Organisation • first Defence Minister to fly LCA Tejas • Hindustan Aeronautics Limited • LCA-Tejas
Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for AK-47 rifles manufacturing unit at Amethi of Uttar Pradesh. On the occasion of laying foundation stone PM thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for making the venture possible in such a short time.
The message of the Russian President Vladimir Putin read out by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on the occasion.
AK-47 Rifle Manufacturing Unit
- The rifles will be manufactures at Amethi as a joint venture between India and Russia.
- At Amethi Manufacturing facility, world-famous Kalashnikov assault rifles of the newest 200 series would be manufactured.
- This unit envisions full localisation of production over a period of time.
- This new Kalashnikov assault rifles will fulfil the needs of national security agencies in this category of small arms, resting upon advanced Russian technologies.
- The agreement for the joint venture was reached during the visit of President Putin to India last October.
- The rifle manufacturing unit at Amethi symbolises the military and technical cooperation between India and Russia which has been the key areas of the strategic partnership between Russia and India.
Kalashnikov Rifles also known as AK-47 rifles is 7.62×39mm assault rifle, developed in the Soviet Union by Mikhail Kalashnikov. The rifles were officially accepted to the Soviet Armed Forces in the year 1949.
Even after seven decades, the model and its variants remain the most popular and widely used assault rifles in the world because of their substantial reliability under harsh conditions, low production costs compared to contemporary Western weapons, availability in virtually every geographic region and ease of use.