Union Defence Ministry Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Defence Ministry as announced that permanent commission will be granted for Women in all the 10 branches of Indian Army. The extension of Permanent Commission to Women will provide women with a career in the Army till their retirement. The Short Service Commission entails an opportunity to serve as a Commissioned Officer for 10/14 years. At the end of 10 yrs, 3 options will be provided, either elect for a Permanent Commission or opt out or have the option of 4 years extension.
Permanent Commission for Women
- The Ministry of Defence has announced that necessary steps have been initiated to ensure women who were earlier inducted for short service commission (SSC) will now be granted PC in the Armed forces.
- The Women Officers will now get a permanent commission in branches such as signals, engineers, army aviation, army air defence, electronics and mechanical engineers, army service corps, army ordnance corps and intelligence.
- The Women Officers will be considered for grant of permanent commission based on suitability, merit and will be employed in various staff appointment.
- The extension of permanent commission for women will enable them to serve for a longer duration across all 10 branches and they will be able to pursue permanent careers in all branches of Indian Army.
The Defence Ministry had earlier approved permanent commission for women in all branches of Air Force including fighter pilots.
Tags: Indian Air Force • Indian Army • permanent commission • Short Service Commission • Union Defence Ministry
Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) will launch a satellite exclusively for the Union Home Ministry to help it in strengthening its frontiers with Pakistan and Bangladesh among others.
Features of the exclusive satellite for Border Management
The important features of the exclusive satellite for Border Management are:
- The exclusive satellite will be utilised for the purpose of using space resources for security, operational planning and border infrastructure development.
- It would strengthen island and border security and facilitate the development of infrastructure in border and island areas.
- A short, medium and long-term plan have been proposed for implementation in five years in close coordination with the ISRO and the Union Defence Ministry for the implementation in a time-bound manner.
- Under short term plan, immediate needs of border guarding forces will be met by procurement of high-resolution imagery and the hiring of bandwidth for communications.
- Under the mid-term plan, one satellite is being launched by the ISRO for the exclusive use of the MHA.
- Under long term plan, the MHA will develop ground segment and network infrastructure to share satellite resources by user agencies, develop a central archival facility for storing various imagery resources and dissemination of the same to user agencies.
The plan for an exclusive satellite has been formulated based on the recommendations made by a task force on the use of space technology in improving border management.
Tags: Border Management • Indian Space Research Organisation • ISRO • Space technology • Union Defence Ministry