Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Thawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment was recently appointed as Leader of Rajya Sabha (Council of States). The Leader of the Rajya Sabha is appointed by the party in power at Centre.
This position was occupied by senior BJP leader and former Union Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley in previous Narendra Modi-led government (2014-2019).
About Thawarchand Gehlot
- The 71-year-old Gehlot, is leader from Madhya Pradesh has almost four decades of legislative experience.
- Apart from being an experienced parliamentarian, he is a member & general secretary of ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- He belongs to Scheduled Caste and is a Dalit face of saffron party.
- He has been a member of state legislative assembly for several terms and has also served in Lok Sabha as well as Rajya Sabha.
- He became a Rajya Sabha member in 2012 and was re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Madhya Pradesh in 2018. This new term of his will end in 2024. A member to Upper House of Parliament has a term of 6 years.
Leader of Rajya Sabha (Upper House of Parliament)
- A Leader of House is a Rajya Sabha member who either holds a rank of cabinet minister or another nominated minister. The Leader has a seat next to ex-officio Chairperson of Rajya Sabha (the Vice President of India), in the front row.
- The term Leader of the House has been defined in Rule 2(1) of Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Rajya Sabha.
- Gopalaswami Ayyangar was the 1st Leader of the House in Rajya Sabha.
Tags: Arun Jaitley • Chairperson of Rajya Sabha • Leader of Rajya Sabha • Madhya Pradesh [MPPSC] • Rajya Sabha
The Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot launched the 2nd Edition of Indian Sign Language (ISL) Dictionary in New Delhi.
- The Dictionary was brought about by Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC) under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) of Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- The second edition dictionary includes total 6000 words under the categories of academic, legal, medical, technical and everyday terms against the first edition which had about 3000 words.
- The ISL Dictionary is also available on ISLRTC’s YouTube channel.
- The dictionary is intended to serve as a resource for ISL teachers, ISL learners, teachers of the hearing impaired, interpreters, parents of hearing-impaired children and researchers.
- The dictionary was prepared with the involvement of the hearing impaired community, by giving due consideration to their suggestions and understanding.
- The dictionary videos contain the sign, the English term for the sign and pictures where relevant and word list is also given with the English and Hindi equivalents of the signs.
- National Workshops were conducted with hearing-impaired participants from all over India to provide feedback and suggestions on ISLRTC’s Dictionary. The videos recorded in the workshops have also been included as regional signs in the Dictionary.
Most of the hearing impaired persons use Indian Sign Language to communicate. The aim of the dictionary is to help spread the use of ISL which could result in better education and employment opportunities for hearing impaired persons.
Tags: Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities • hearing impaired • Indian Sign Language • Indian Sign Language dictionary • Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre