Union Ministry of Defence Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Ministry of Defence (MoD) is organizing the “Def Connect” event on November 11, 2019. The main objective of the event is to showcase the accomplishments of iDEX-Innovations for Defence Exellence.
- The event will bring together several stakeholders such as MoD selected startups, nodal agencies of Indian Navy and Indian Air Force, Industrial Associations, DRDO, Defense PSUs, etc.
- The iDEX portal and the DISC-Defense India Startup Challenge are to be launched during the event
- More than 350 startups are to participate in the event
- The event will help bridge the gap between stakeholders. It will act as a precursor to the forthcoming DefExpo 2020 that is to be held in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh in 2020.
- The event will also help in achieving the defense production target of Rs 35,000 crore by 2024.
- It was introduced in 2018 by the Ministry of Defense
- The initiative aims at creating an ecosystem that will encourage technology development in the Defense sector
- The iDex will be operated by the DIO-Defense Innovation Organization. The main functions of DIO includes
- Check the reports submitted by iDEX
- Provide high level policy guidance
- The Ministry had also set the Technology Development Fund alongside to hasten the initiative.
Tags: Defence exports • Defence Technology • DefExpo India- 2020 • iDEX • Union Ministry of Defence
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) transferred the design of Mobile Metallic Ramp (MMR) to Indian Army. The designs of were handed over by Chairman of DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy to Vice Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Devraj Anbu at an event held at DRDO Bhawan in New Delhi.
About Mobile Metallic Ramp (MMR)
Developed by: MMR has been designed and developed by Centre for Fire, Explosive and Environment Safety (CFEES), DRDO’s premier research laboratory.
It has a load bearing capacity of 70 metric ton (MT).
It has been designed and developed on requirements projected by Army for reducing Strategic Mobility time of mobilising Armoured Fighting Vehicles (AFVs).
Significance: As MMR is portable, modular in design, which can be easily assembled or disassembled thus it will provide strategic mobility for Armoured and Mechanised units and formations of Army.
About Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
It is an government agency which is is under the administrative control of Union Ministry of Defence.
It was founded in 1958 and is headquartered in New Delhi.
It is charged with military’s research and development.
With a network of 52 laboratories, which are engaged in developing defence technologies covering various fields, DRDO is India’s largest and most diverse research organisation.