Union Ministry of Shipping Road Transport & Highways Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India’s first of its kind Tier-I Oil Spill Response Centre (OSRC) for Mumbai Port Trust (MBT), Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) and ONGC’s facilities at Nhava and Uran was inaugurated on 5 June 2015.
It was inaugurated by Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping, Nitin Gadkari to tackle pollution and oil spills in and around Mumbai.
Facts about Tier-I Oil Spill Response Centre (OSRC)
- OSRC is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment in operational readiness for combating Tier-I oil spill upto 700 tones.
- The objective behind setting up this centre is to develop appropriate and effective systems for the detection and reporting of spillage of oil in order to ensure adequate protection to the marine environment and public health.
- This centre will also ensure prompt and appropriate response technique to control, combat and prevent oil pollution and dispose recovered waste material in an environmental friendly manner.
- The OSRC is equipped with skilled and trained personnel and wireless communication facilities for immediately responding to any oil spill. It will monitor on 24/7 basis.
- It also includes various plans like Contingency Plan, Health Safety and Environment Plan.
- The facility is funded by Participating Oil Companies (POCs). While, MPT will take the responsibility for tendering and monitoring of Tier-I OSR facility.
Union Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport & Highways on 3 March 2015 launched a website Shipping Samvad.
It was launched by Union Minister of Shipping, Road Transport & Highways Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi.
- Website’s objective is to invite innovative ideas and suggestions from general public and experts related to Indian maritime sector for improvements in the ports, shipping and inland waterways sector.
- The ideas and suggestions submitted by public and experts will be further examined for implementation by Ministry of Shipping.
- The workable ideas and suggestions received through website will be published on this website. Union Ministry of Shipping will also select the best five contributions in the year.
- Apart from this, Ministry will also upload the draft policies and new initiatives from time to time on the website for the valuable suggestions and feedback from the citizen.
- It will also help Ministry of Shipping in bringing transparency and blue revolution in the country.
- It will engage the experts and common public in the development of Shipping, Ports and Inland Waterways in India and will provide impetus to the Ministry of Shipping in its efforts.