Union Ministry of Tourism Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Tourism Minister K. J. Alphons inaugurated the ‘Eco Circuit: Pathanamthitta – Gavi – Vagamon – Thekkady’ project at Vagamon, Kerala on 17th February 2019. This project is a part of the Swadesh Darshan Scheme.
About the Eco Circuit: Pathanamthitta – Gavi – Vagamon – Thekkady Project
- The Eco Circuit project was sanctioned in December 2015 at the cost of Rs. 76.55 crores.
- It has been developed as a 150 km circuit and includes Eco-Adventure Tourism Park at Vagamon, Cultural Centre at Kadamanitta, Eco Log Huts at Peerumedu, Idukki, Approach Roads, Walking trails, Rain Shelters at Pine Valley Forest, Thekkady, Kumily, MoozhiyarDam, Penstock and Kakki
- The eco-tourism circuit aims to protect the flora and fauna of Pathanamthitta and Idukki districts including places like Gavi, Peerumedu
About the Swadesh Darshan Scheme
India’s rich cultural, historical, religious and natural heritage provides great scope to develop tourist circuits on specific themes to attract the tourists having a special interest in visiting such places. Recognizing this huge potential the Swadesh Darshan Scheme was launched by the Union Ministry of Tourism in 2014-15. This flagship scheme of the Ministry of Tourism aims at the development of thematic circuits in a planned and prioritized manner across India.
The Ministry of Tourism has already sanctioned 77 projects at the cost of Rs. 6131.88 Crore to 30 States and UTs. Of these 30 projects / major components of projects are expected to be completed during the current financial year, of which 12 projects worth Rs.1024.49 crore, covering the states of Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh Kerala and Sikkim have already been inaugurated.
The Surajkund International Crafts Mela is organized every year by the Surajkund Mela Authority & Haryana Tourism in collaboration with Union Ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture and External Affairs.
The state of Maharashtra is the Theme State and Thailand is the Partner Nation Country for the Surajkund International Crafts Mela-2019.
Objectives of the Surajkund International Crafts Mela
The Surajkund International Crafts is organised, managed and run Mela at Surajkund Faridabad with a view
- To promote handicrafts, handlooms with the aid of craftsmen invited from all over the country
- To identify languishing and lesser-known crafts and to introduce them to patrons.
- To display crafts and loom techniques by organising demonstration sections in the Mela grounds.
- To undertake the promotion of export of handlooms and handicrafts.
- To set up an environment in which rural crafts traditions could be displayed and to project the traditional rural ambience of a typical village near Delhi for travellers who may not have the time or means to visit an Indian village.
The Mela also aims to be a custodian of the heritage crafts involving the use of traditional skills that are fading away due to cheap machine-made imitations, and a special section is earmarked for showcasing of these heritage crafts.
The theme state concept was conceptualized broadly with a view to promote and focus on art, craft and cuisine of each state of India every year.
Tags: Haryana Tourism • Surajkund International Crafts Mela • Surajkund Mela Authority • Union Ministry of Culture • Union Ministry of External Affairs • Union Ministry of Textiles • Union Ministry of Tourism