United Kingdom Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chairman G Satheesh Reddy was awarded honorary fellowship by Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) of United Kingdom (UK) during the Medals and Awards presentation ceremony in London. He is the first Indian recipient of the prestigious award in more than 100 years.
About G Satheesh Reddy
Why was he awarded? Society’s highest award is bestowed in recognition of contributions of Reddy towards indigenous design, development and deployment of diversified missile systems, guided weapons, aerospace vehicles as well as avionics technologies in India over the past three decades. His pioneering technological contributions has enabled the country to realise frontline military systems and world class missile technologies.
His Contributions: He spearheaded Mission Shakti, India’s first Anti-Satellite Missile Test (ASAT) mission which demonstrated an extremely high degree of precision and technological prowess, enabling India to join a select group of 4 nations with such capability. He even bolstered Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) programme and successfully demonstrated missile interception capabilities at high altitudes.
He also led development of advanced avionics, the indigenous design, development and deployment of state-of-the-art mission critical aerospace technologies and advanced missile systems as well as achieved successful missions of long-range Agni 5 strategic missile. His Research & Development contributions have made country self-reliant in Missiles and Avionics technologies. These cutting edge technologies have been backbone for key strategic programmes and other defence applications in India.
He is famous among students as ‘Junior Kalam’ and ‘Next Generation Missile Man’ due to his talent on advanced technologies.
Awards: He has received many awards such as- National Systems Gold Medal, AIAA Missile Systems Award, National Design Award, National Aeronautical Prize, Homi J Bhabha Gold Medal, Technology Leadership Award and IEI-IEEE (USA) award for engineering excellence.
About Honorary Fellowship by Royal Aeronautical Society
It is one of the world’s highest distinctions for aerospace achievement awarded for only most exceptional contributions to the aerospace profession. It is considered as equivalent to Nobel Prize in the aerospace domain.
The first Honorary Fellowship was awarded in year 1917. Eminent persons conferred with this award includes doyens of Aerospace such as Orville Wright, aviation pioneer known for inventing airplane with his brother, Wilbur.
Tags: Defence Research and Development Organisation • DRDO • G Satheesh Reddy • Honorary Fellowship • Royal Aeronautical Society
American novelist Tayari Jones won this year’s Women’s Prize for Fiction for her fourth novel “An American Marriage“. It is one of the biggest international celebrations of women’s creativity.
- Her book competed against five other shortlisted authors, including two former Booker prize winners namely Anna Burns (novel “Milkman” won booker prize for 2018) and Pat Barker’s new novel “The Silence of the Girls“.
- Prize: She won £30,000 and ‘Bessie’, which is a limited edition bronze figurine.
- Awards Ceremony: The Women’s Prize for Fiction event was hosted at Bedford Square Gardens, London (UK) by novelist and Women’s Prize founder-director, Kate Mosse.
- Other winner: Helen Rogers was named as winner of Women’s Prize/Grazia First Chapter Competition for unpublished writers.
- About Book: It is a powerful story about love and family, injustice and strength. It portraits a young African American’s wrongful conviction and how it affects his marriage.
About Women’s Prize for Fiction
- It is United Kingdom’s only annual book award for fiction celebrating excellence, originality and accessibility in women’s writing from all around the world.
- The prize was founded in 1996. The year 2019 marks 24th year of its establishment.
- It seeks to celebrate and promote international fiction by women worldwide to widest range of readers possible.