United Kingdom Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The world’s largest (longest) aircraft the Airlander 10 has embarked its maiden flight at an airfield in Cardington in central England. It is a hybrid airship made by Hybrid Air Vehicles in United Kingdom.
Its successful flight comes 85 years after another airship the ill-fated R101 took off in October 1930 from the same airfield before crashing in France.
Features of Airlander 10
- Airlander 10 is hybrid ship i.e. it is a partly plane and partly airship filled with helium gas. It is 92-metre-long and 43.5m wide.
- It can fly at up to 4,880 metres and reach speeds of 148 kilometres per hour. It can also carry a 10-tonne payload.
- It can stay airborne for more than two weeks unmanned and up to five days if manned.
- It was first developed for the US Government as a surveillance aircraft, but the project was shelved amid defence cutbacks. It can also be used for commercial purpose
Conservative party leader Theresa May (59) became Prime Minister of United Kingdom after meeting Queen Elizabeth II.
She succeeds David Cameron, who had resigned in the wake of Brexit referendum that ended his six-year-long stint as the Prime Minister of Britain.
With this, she became UK’s second-ever female Prime Minister after Margaret Thatcher (in office from 1979-1990).
About Theresa May
- Prior to entering front-line politics, Theresa May has worked with the Bank of England from 1977 to 1983.
- She had served as a councillor for the London Borough of Merton from 1986 to 1994. She is Member of Parliament for Maidenhead since 1997.
- In the outgoing Prime Minister David Cameron she had served as home secretary of UK from May 2010 to July 201. She was the longest-serving home secretary of UK in last 50 years.