United Kingdom Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
British-American romance novelist Jackie Collins passed away on 19 September 2015 in California, United States. She was 77 and died due to stage 4 breast cancer.
About Jackie Collins
- Jacqueline Jill “Jackie” Collins was born on October 4, 1937 in London, England. She was the younger sister of actress Joan Collins.
- In her four decades of writing career, she had written more than 32 novels, all of them had appeared on The New York Times bestsellers list.
- Her books have sold over 500 million copies in 40 countries and have been translated into 40 languages.
- Her debut novel, The World Is Full of Married Men was published in 1968.
- Eight of her novels were adapted for the screen, either as television mini-series or films.
- Awards and Honours: She was honoured with Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2013.
Indian-origin author Sunjeev Sahota has been short-listed for the prestigious 2015 Man Booker Prize for Fiction.
Sunjeev Sahota’s novel The Year of the Runaways has been shortlisted which deals with the life experience of illegal immigrants from the Indian subcontinent in Britain.
He is among the 6 authors who have been short-listed for this edition of prize by judges’ panel chaired by Michael Wood.
Other short-listed authors are: Tom McCarthy (Britain), Anne Tyler (US), Marlon James (Jamaica), Hanya Yanagihara (US) and Chigozie Obioma (Nigeria).
Sunjeev Sahota was born in 1981 and is a third-generation British-Indian. His debut novel Ours Are the Streets was published in 2011. The Year of the Runaways is his second novel which was published in June 2015.
About Man Booker Prize for Fiction
- The literary prize since 2013 is bestowed upon writers of any nationality for their best original novel written in the English language and published in United Kingdom.
- Previously, the prize was open only to authors from the UK and Commonwealth nations, Ireland and Zimbabwe.
- It was first was awarded in 1969 and is sponsored by the Man Group.
- The prize carries 50,000 pounds and it is of great significance for the book trade as the winner of prize is generally assured of international renown and success.