United Nation Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The 14th summit of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) held in Mecca, Saudi Arabia was hosted by Saudi King Salman bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud.
Key Highlights of Summit
- Agenda: The official agenda of meeting was to address ‘current issues in Muslim world’ and ‘recent developments in a number of OIC member states. Also, amid soaring tension between Iran and the US and its Gulf allies the OIC summit discussed the regional security issues. The Mecca summit supported Palestinians and backed Saudis in Iran standoff.
- Background: In December 2017, The United States President Donald Trump broke the decades of established protocol by recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. In May 2018 US embassy was transferred from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. The suit was soon followed by Guatemala.
- Political leaders and heads of state from Islamic nations unanimously condemned countries including United Sates decision of making “illegal and irresponsible decision” to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
- In a joint statement at OIC summit in Saudi Arabia, the leaders called on countries that have moved their embassies to Jerusalem (by recognizing it as Israel’s capital) to rethink their strategy and which OIC considered as a serious violation of international law and international legitimacy.
About Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
- It was established in 1969 by 24 member states and presently has 57 member states from four continents.
- Members: Out of total 57 member states the organisation has several significant non-Arab member states, like Turkey, Iran and Pakistan. The 22 members of the Arab League are also part of OIC. It has five observer members, including Russia and Thailand.
- With a collective population of more than 1.8 billion, it is the second largest intergovernmental body after the United Nations (UN).
- Objective: As per OIC charter, it aims to preserve Islamic values, safeguard and defend national sovereignty and independence of its member states and also to contribute to international peace and security.
- OIC states itself as ‘the collective voice of the Muslim world’ and works towards protecting interests of Muslim world.
- Summit: OIC holds an Islamic Summit once every three years at which heads of state discuss ways to achieve OIC’s charter’s objectives and make policy decisions that concern its member states.
- OIC has permanent delegations to the UN and the European Union (EU)
- Its official languages are Arabic, English and French.
Tags: 14th Organisation of Islamic Cooperation Summit • EU • European Union • Guatemals • Islamic Summit • Jerusalem • Mecca • OIC Summit • Palestine • Saudi Arabia • Tel Aviv • UN • United Nation • United States • US-Israel
According to a recent report released by United Nation’s (UN) International Labour Organization (ILO), Companies that improve gender diversity especially at top perform better and rake in higher profits.
- About: The report released by UN’s ILO is titled as “Women in Business and Management: The business case for change.”
- Based on: The report findings are based on a global survey conducted by ILO of about 13,000 companies across 70 countries. It also analysed data from 186 countries from a period between 1991 and 2017.
- Key Findings of Report
- Companies that improve gender diversity (i.e. equitable representation of people of different genders) especially in their management perform better and reported higher profits hikes in between 5% to 20%.
- An analysis of data from 186 countries for period 1991-2017 showed that Countries that increase women employment see better economic growth.
- As per 57% companies, growing number of women at top made it easier for company to attract and retain talent.
- Over 54 % companies agreed that with effective gender inclusivity they improved in creativity, innovation and openness and enhanced their company’s reputation.
- Significance: The report results are eye-opening as it shows that companies should look at gender balance as a bottom-line issue and not just as a human resources issue.
About International Labour Organization (ILO)
- It was founded on 29 October 1919 and is headquartered in Geneva Switzerland.
- It became United Nations first specialised agency in 1946.
- ILO has 187 member states. 186 of them are out of 193 UN member states and plus Cook Islands.