United States Agency for International Development Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Niti Ayog in association with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) organized the first workshop on the development of the India Energy Modelling Forum (IEMF). The workshop was organized under the Sustainable Growth Pillar of the India-U.S. Strategic Energy Partnership.
India Energy Modelling Forum
- IEMF is envisaged as a pan-stakeholder platform for debating ideas, scenario-planning & discussing India’s energy future.
- IEMF seeks to provide a platform for leading experts and policymakers to study important energy and environmental issues and ensure the induction of modelling and analysis in the informed decision-making process.
- IEMF aims to improve cooperation and coordination between modelling teams, the Government of India, knowledge partners and think-tanks, build the capacity of Indian institutions, and identify issues for joint modelling activities and future areas of research.
The workshop featured eight expert sessions which saw discussions around the various aspects of setting up an India-centric energy modelling platform and was attended by various central government ministries and agencies.
India-U.S. Strategic Energy Partnership
India-U.S. Strategic Energy Partnership affirms the strategic importance of energy cooperation to the U.S.-India bilateral relationship and sets the stage for deeper and more meaningful engagements through government and industry channels.
Under the Strategic Partnership, the United States and India will pursue four primary pillars of cooperation:
- Oil and Gas
- Power and Energy Efficiency
- Renewable Energy and Sustainable Growth
The Strategic Energy Partnership elevates the role of energy in advancing shared goals, including universal energy access, strengthened energy security and increased energy efficiency.
Tags: Coal • India Energy Modelling Forum • India-U.S. Strategic Energy Partnership • Niti Ayog • Oil and Gas
Union Urban Development Ministry, United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Bill and Milinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) have agreed to partner in Swachh Bharat programme.
In this regard, USAID has inked a pact with the Urban Development Ministry while BGMF signed a Memorandum of Cooperation.
The Memoranda were signed in presence of Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu and US Ambassador to India, Richard Verma.
- As a global partner in Swachh Bharat programme, USAID will assist union governments flagship programme by knowledge exchange and identification and sharing of best practices for water and sanitation services.
- It will also provide technical support and promote public private partnership (PPP) and spend about $2.50 million per year on these activities.
- While, BMGF as a partner will provide technical and management support in the implementation of the mission.
- It will provide coordination of decentralised and non-sewered sanitation solutions, implementation and management through skill development focusing on towns located along the Ganga river at a cost of $2.50 million annually.
Thus it can be said that Government’s Swachchh Bharat Mission got global boost, which will take sanitation beyond construction of toilets and offers holistic solutions towards cleanliness.