United States Of America Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Quality of Living Index 2019 was released by the Consulting Agency Mercer. The index was based on the data analysed between September and November 2018. The index ranks 231 cities.
Quality of Living Index 2019
- Austrian capital Vienna tops the Mercer’s index of most liveable cities for the 10th year in a row.
- Vienna was closely followed by Zurich in Switzerland. Auckland, Munich, and Vancouver came in joint third.
- San Francisco with the ranking of 34 was named the best city to live in in the U.S.
- London with a ranking of 41st was the best city in the UK on Mercer’s scale.
- Singapore with a ranking of 25th has held onto its status as Asia’s most livable city.
- Uruguay’s capital Montevideo was the highest ranked city in South America.
- Port Louis, Mauritius, was Africa’s top city.
- Baghdad ranked last, followed by Bangui in the Central African Republic and Yemen’s capital Sanaa.
Indian Cities in the List
- Hyderabad and Pune topped the list among the Indian cities with a rank of 143.
- Bengaluru was the second best with the ranking of 149.
- Mumbai with the ranking of 154 stood third among Indian cities.
- The capital of India, New Delhi ranked at 162 in Mercer’s Quality Of Living Index.
The index is based on 39 factors such as access to public transport and traffic congestion levels, availability of housing and international schools city’s cultural scene which are grouped under 10 heads like “political and social environment”, “recreation”.
Tags: Africa • Asia • Austria • Baghdad • Bangui
The World Gold Council its latest report highlights the quantum of gold holding by the different countries. The findings of the report are:
- India has the 11th largest gold reserve and the current holding pegged at 607 tonnes.
- India’s would have been at the tenth position had the list included only countries. International Monetary Fund (IMF) ranks third on the list with total gold reserves of 2,814 tonnes.
- The top spot is occupied by US gold reserves of 8,133.5 tonnes, followed by Germany with 3,369.7 tonnes.
- The third and fourth slot is occupied by Germany and France with reserves of around 2,400 tonnes each.
- China and Japan have more reserves of the precious metal when compared to India. Mainland China has gold reserves of 1,864.3 tonnes and Japan has gold reserves of 765.2 tonnes.
- The report notes that Gross purchases of 48 tonnes and gross sales of 13 tonnes led to an increase in global gold reserves by 35 tonnes on a net basis in January, with sizeable increases from nine central banks.
- This was the largest January increase in gold reserves since 2002 and illustrates the recent strength in gold accumulation.
The World Gold Council is the market development organisation for the gold industry and it aims to stimulate and sustain demand for gold, provide industry leadership, and be the global authority on the gold market. The members of the World Gold Council include gold mining companies.
Tags: China • France • Germany • Gold Reserves • IMF