Urban Development Current Affairs - 2020
Union Government has approved Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) Action Plans for 81 cities in 5 states with total project outlay of 5,748 crore rupees.
It was approved by an inter-ministerial Apex Committee headed by Madhusudan Prasad, Secretary, Union Ministry of Urban Development.
- The approved cities in 5 states are Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Odisha and Mizoram.
- The funds will be used to enhance basic infrastructure including water supply and sewerage connections in these 5 states for the year 2015-16.
- Union Government will provide an assistance of 2,440 crore rupees while the rest would be contributed by state governments and urban local bodies.
- Of the total approved outlay 4,290 crore rupees would be used to provide household water supply connections and enhance water supply in 53 cities.
- Half of the urban households in these selected 81 cities do not have water supply and sewerage connections.
About AMRUT Scheme
It was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in June 2015 for urban transformation. The focus of the urban renewal projects under this scheme is to establish infrastructure that could ensure adequate robust sewerage networks and water supply.
Under this scheme: Union Government provides an assistance of 50 per cent of project cost for cities with a population of up to 10 lakhs each and one third of project cost for cities with a population of above 10 lakhs each. Rest of the project cost has to be borne by the states and urban local bodies.