Urban Plus approach Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The sixth edition of Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Housing and Urban Development (APMCHUD) held in New Delhi has adopted New Delhi declaration to adopt Urban Plus approach.
This was the first such meeting held to discuss ways of realising the New Urban Agenda that was finalised during the UN Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development (also known as “Habitat III” conference) held in Quito, Ecuador in October 2016. Its theme of conference was ‘Emerging Urban Forms-Policy Reforms and Governance Structures in the Context of New Urban Agenda’. It was attained by representatives of Asia Pacific countries that account for over 55% of global urban population. It adopted Implementation Plan and New Delhi Declaration. The next biennial APMCHUD Conference will be hosted by Iran in 2018.
New Delhi Declaration
- Strongly advocated planning for urban and adjoining rural areas in an integrated manner instead of looking at them as independent entities.
- Called for thorough review of existing policies and formulation of new policies to promote New Urban Agenda adopted at UN Habitat III Conference in Quito, Eucador in October 2016.
- It stressed on the need for effective governance structures in urban areas noting that governance as the key to sustainable development.
Implementation Plan Recommends
- Formulation of National Human Settlement Policies to promote inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable city and human settlements.
- Land regulation policy mechanisms such as land pooling to ensure inclusive and participatory planning, integration of land use and transportation planning across defined boundaries of cities.
- Enforcement and incentivasation of timely execution of infrastructure projects, formulation of comprehensive urban parking policies and community participation in urban planning.
- Adopt urban resilience as criteria for investment to withstand and absorb disasters and shocks and maintain normal services and quickly return to normalcy.
For background: 2016 APMCHUD