Uruguay Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Ministry of Commerce and Industries has urged the Health Ministry to frame law banning manufacture and sale of e-cigarettes in the country as in the absence of the domestic legislation, it would not be possible to put a blanket ban on its imports.
The Ministry of Commerce and Industries has stated that without banning domestic sale and manufacturing of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) through law, it will be an infringement of global trade norms to put an import ban.
Electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes are devices that do not burn or use tobacco leaves but instead vaporise a solution, which a user then inhales. The main constituents of the solution, in addition to nicotine, are propylene glycol.
Earlier, the Health Ministry had asked the commerce ministry to issue a notification banning the import of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS), including e-cigarettes and flavoured hookah. To put the ban into effect the Commerce Ministry has urged the Health Ministry to frame rules regarding the domestic sale and manufacturing so that the Ministry of Commerce and Industries can go ahead with imposing of the blanket ban on the imports.
As per the World Health Organization report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic 2017, governments of 30 countries which includes Mauritius, Australia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Brazil, Mexico, Uruguay, Bahrain, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, have already banned the Electronic cigarettes.
Tags: Australia • Bahrain • Brazil • E cigarettes • Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
The Quality of Living Index 2019 was released by the Consulting Agency Mercer. The index was based on the data analysed between September and November 2018. The index ranks 231 cities.
Quality of Living Index 2019
- Austrian capital Vienna tops the Mercer’s index of most liveable cities for the 10th year in a row.
- Vienna was closely followed by Zurich in Switzerland. Auckland, Munich, and Vancouver came in joint third.
- San Francisco with the ranking of 34 was named the best city to live in in the U.S.
- London with a ranking of 41st was the best city in the UK on Mercer’s scale.
- Singapore with a ranking of 25th has held onto its status as Asia’s most livable city.
- Uruguay’s capital Montevideo was the highest ranked city in South America.
- Port Louis, Mauritius, was Africa’s top city.
- Baghdad ranked last, followed by Bangui in the Central African Republic and Yemen’s capital Sanaa.
Indian Cities in the List
- Hyderabad and Pune topped the list among the Indian cities with a rank of 143.
- Bengaluru was the second best with the ranking of 149.
- Mumbai with the ranking of 154 stood third among Indian cities.
- The capital of India, New Delhi ranked at 162 in Mercer’s Quality Of Living Index.
The index is based on 39 factors such as access to public transport and traffic congestion levels, availability of housing and international schools city’s cultural scene which are grouped under 10 heads like “political and social environment”, “recreation”.