US-China Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Russia’s annual Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum (SPIEF) is being held from 6-8 June 2019. It is an annual international forum that discusses key economic issues facing Russia, emerging markets and world at large stage. The Saint Petersburg is Russia’s former imperial capital.
Key Highlights of SPIEF
- Background: The first SPIEF was held in 1997. Now over past two decades, it has become one of leading global platforms for communication between business representatives and discussion of crucial global economic issues. Since 2006 it has been held under auspices and participation for Russian President Vladimir Putin. The SPIEF 2018 edition brought together around 17,000 participants from more than 140 countries. At the event Russia tries to boost its appeal to international businesses and investors.
- St. Petersburg International Economic Forum 2019: brought together high-profile politicians, leaders from participating countries, leaders of International organisation, representatives of major international companies and organisations as well as experts from various fields. In 2019 session delegations from nearly all European Union (EU) countries, including Hungary, Germany, Italy, Egypt, Austria, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, Greece, Belgium among others and also senior officials from Cambodia, Vietnam, South Africa, Ivory Coast, Kenya, and Central African Republic (CAR) are taking part in various business sessions of forum. Chinese President Jinping will also attend SPIEF 2019 edition.
- Theme for SPIEF 2019: Creating a Sustainable Development Agenda
- Following Rusian annexation of Crimea in 2014 and role in pro-Russian uprising in Ukraine, the country has been hit by five years of international sanctions on its economy. It is also not immune to effects of U.S-China trade war which is putting brakes on global growth. The Western sanction over Russia is now followed by Russia’s pivot to the east with gradual dependence on China.
- The Chinese President Xi Jinping visit to SPIEF 2019 marks a new era of friendship between China and Russia and reinforcement of economic ties that had benefitted from Moscow’s isolation from West. This visit holds milestone significance in development of bilateral relations.
- Both countries show strong political mutual trust such as politically they seem consistently aligned and often vote in unison as permanent members of UN Security Council (UNSC). They also support each other firmly on issues concerning each other’s core interests and major concerns.
Tags: China-Russia • Crimean Annexation • Russian Sanction • SPIEF 2019 • St. Petersburg International Economic Forum 2019 • Ukraine • UN Security Council • UNSC • US-China • US-China trade dispute • US-Russia
Jimmy Carter, Ex-President of United States of America (USA) won the inaugural George H. W. Bush Award for Statesmanship in recognition of his contributions to relations between U.S. and China.
About George H. W. Bush Award
- It is conferred by George H. W. Bush Foundation for U.S. China Relations.
- Jimmy Carter will receive inaugural George H. W. Bush Award for Statesmanship in U.S.-China Relations at a private award ceremony scheduled for 12 June 2019 at Carter Center in Atlanta, US.
- Objective: The award is conferred to people who have made profound contributions towards development of constructive and mutually beneficial relations between U.S and People’s Republic of China.
About Jimmy Carter
- He was former governor of Georgia (1971-1975) and later served as 39th president of United States from 1977-1981.
- During his tenure, Joint Communiqué on Establishment of Diplomatic Relations was signed on 1 January 1979 which stated official beginning of Diplomatic relation between US and China and that two countries would even open Embassies on 1 March 1979. He also announced withdrawal of all U.S. military personnel from Taiwan and end to Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty signed with China.
Tags: 39th president of US • George H. W. Bush Award • George H. W. Bush Award for Statesmanship • George H. W. Bush Foundation for U.S. China Relations • Jimmy Carter • Joint Communiqué on Establishment of Diplomatic Relations • President of United States of America • Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty • US-China