Usain Bolt Current Affairs
Sprint king Usain Bolt from Jamaica has been awarded the 2016 IAAF World Athlete of the Year award in male category for sixth time. Earlier he had won it in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
He was rewarded for his blistering performance in 2016 season in which he won three gold medals (100m, 200m and 4x100m relay) at the 2016 Rio Olympics. Bolt had won three gold medals, each in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 4×100 meters at the Rio Olympics, repeating his feats of the 2012 London Games and in Beijing in 2008.
Almaz Ayana of Ethiopia won the award in women’s award category. She was presented with the award for her world-record run to win Olympic gold medal in the 10,000 meters. She is the third Ethiopian woman to win this award following Genzebe Dibaba (2015) and Meseret Defar (2007).
- Male Rising Star: Andre De Grasse (Canada).
- Female Rising Star: Nafissatou Thiam (Belgium).
- Coaching Achievement: Harry Marra (US).
- President’s Award: Tegla Loroupe.
- Women in Athletics: Polyxeni Argeitaki (Greece).
About IAAF World Athlete of the year award
The awards are presented annually by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). The winners are chosen by athletics officials, athletes, journalists and an online public poll.
Jamaican Sprinter Usain Bolt created an unprecedented record of a triple treble (first athlete to win 9 gold medals in sprinting events of Olympics) by winning third Gold medal in Rio Olympics 2016.
He achieved this feat after Jamaica won gold medal in 4x100m relay final at the Rio Olympics. The team comprised of Usain Bolt, Asafa Powell, Yohan Blake and Nickel Ashmeade.
Earlier in August 2016, Bolt had won gold medal in the 100-metre final at the Rio Olympics, becoming first athlete to win the event three times at consecutive Olympic Games. It was followed by his second win in the 200-metre final with a gold medal.
With this, Bolt created a new record of three sprinting gold medals in three consecutive Olympics. He has won gold medals the 100 meters, 200 meters and 4×100 meters in Beijing 2008, London 2012 and now in Rio 2016.
About Usain Bolt
- Usain Bolt was born 21 August 1986 in Trelawny, Jamaica. He has earned nickname Lightning Bolt due to his achievements in sprinting.
- He is regarded as the fastest person in the world ever timed. He is first athlete to hold both the 100 metres and 200 metres world records.
- He also holds the world record in the 4 × 100 metres relay. He also has won World and Olympic champion in these three events.