USSR Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
International Day of Human Space Flight 2019 was observed on April 12 to commemorate the date of the first human space flight in the history of mankind.
Genesis of the International Day of Human Space Flight
It was on April 12, 1961, Soviet Union (USSR) Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin undertook first successful first human space flight. This historic event opened the way for space exploration for the benefit of all humanity.
On April 7, 2011, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) passed a resolution and declared 12 April as the International Day of Human Space Flight for
- Celebrating each year at the international level the beginning of the space era for mankind
- Reaffirming the important contribution of space science and technology in achieving sustainable development goals.
- Increasing the well-being of States and peoples, as well as ensuring the realization of their aspiration to maintain outer space for peaceful purposes.
In Russia and some other former USSR countries, this historic day is celebrated as Cosmonautics Day.
Russian legendary film Director and screenwriter Eldar Ryazanov passed away in Moscow, Russia. He was 88.
He was one of Russia’s best-loved Soviet-era film directors and an icon of popular USSR culture of tragi-comedies that satirised daily life in the erstwhile Soviet Union.
About Eldar Ryazanov
- Eldar Ryazanov was born on 18 November 1927 in Kuybyshev (now Samara) in the erstwhile USSR.
- He had directed some of the most popular Soviet Era comedies such as Irony of Fate (1975), Office Romance (1977) and The Garage (1979).
- Comedy film The Irony of Fate is still reckoned to be his most popular film in USSR and still televised on New Year’s Eve in former Soviet countries.
- Awards and Honours: In 1984, he was named a People’s Artist, a top USSR artistry tittle. He also has received the USSR State Prize (1977). He has won the Nika Award for Best Director (1991) for the film Promised Heaven. An asteroid 4258 Ryazanov was named after him.