Renowned Kerala cartoonist V T Thomas passed away following a brief illness at in Kottayam, Kerala. He was 86.
He was popularly known as Toms and had created the legendary cartoon characters Boban and Molly (Bobanum Moliyum).
About V T Thomas
- Born on June 6, 1929 in Kuttanad in Alappuzha district. During the World War II he had served in the British Army for a brief period.
- Later he turned to the world of cartoons, following footsteps of his elder brother Peter Thomas.
- He found his characters Boban and Molly at the age of 30 from his neighbourhood. Initially in 1950 the characters appeared in a cartoon column Sathyadeepam weekly.
- But later in 1957 on these characters became part of Malayala Manorama weekly. He resigned from Manorama in 1987 and began his own publication.
- The whole story of Boban and Molly characters described the issues faced by the middle class and the day to day socio-political developments through his cartoon column.
- Some of his other famous creative characters were of the kids lawyer Pothen, the nincompoop panchayat president Ittunnan (chettan), the flirty Appy Hippy and so on.