Vassiliki Thanou Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
President of Greece’s Supreme Court Vassiliki Thanou has been appointed as the first female Prime Minister of the heavily indebted country which is center of Eurozone crisis.
She was sworn in as head of a caretaker government that will lead nation until next snap election which is scheduled to be held in September 2015.
- She was appointed as caretaker PM by President Prokopis Pavlopoulos, after leaders of the three main political parties of Greek parliament failed to form a coalition government to replace outgoing Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras.
- Mr Tsipras had resigned from the office after members of his radical-left Syriza party had rebelled against his government over the issue of austerity measures demanded by the nation’s creditors.
About Vassiliki Thanou
- Vassiliki Thanou was born in 1950 in Chalcis, Greece.
- In July 2015, she was appointed as the President of the Court of Cassation, one of Greece’s three supreme courts. Currently, she is the most senior judge in Greece.
- She also has served as President of the Greek Association of Judges and Prosecutors (SAD). For first time she was elected to this post in 2012 for a two-year term and was re-elected in 2014 for the same period.