Veerappa Moily Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
President Pranab Mukherjee has conferred prestigious literary award Saraswati Sammaan for the year 2014 to Dr. Marpadi Veerappa Moily in New Delhi.
He was bestowed with this award for his Kannada poem ‘Ramayana Mahanveshanam’ which was first published in 2007.
The poem explores the ‘Ramarajya’ or the true principle of the ‘ideal State’ from a secular and modern point of view. It has been translated into English, Hindi, Telugu and Tamil.
With this Dr. Moily became second Kannada writer to receive this prestigious award after S. L. Bhyrappa (2010).
About Dr. Marpadi Veerappa Moily
- Marpadi Veerappa Moily is a senior Congress leader from Karnataka.
- Political Career: He served Chief Minister of Karnataka from 1992 and 1994. He also has held several other ministerial portfolios in UPA government at Centre including Corporate Affairs, Petroleum and Natural Gas, Law and Justice.
- Writer Career: He is renowned writer in Kannada and has authored 3 collections of poetry, 4 novels, numerous essays and number of plays.
- His 4 novels are Kotta, Suligali, Tembare: Typhoon, and Sagaradeepa: Ocean lamp. His 3 poem collections include Halu-Jenu Maththe, Yakshaprashne and Nadeyali Samara.
About Saraswati Samman (सरस्वती सम्मान)
- Established: in 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation.
- It is annual award, awarded to persons for their outstanding prose or poetry literary works in any Indian language listed in Schedule VIII of the Constitution of India.
- Award carries: Cash price of Rs 10 lakh, a citation and a plaque.
- Eminent Hindi author Harivansh Rai Bachchan was the first recipient of this award for his autobiography in four volumes.